Users keep getting “Avast mobile virus definitions update failed error”. This issue occurred on both the premium version as well as the free version. This error usually occurs when users try to update the virus definition of the desktop version of the app.
This usually occurs due to a bug issue or corrupted and damaged game files. The most instant fix that you can apply without moving toward the complex fixes is simply to update Avast antivirus to the latest version available.
If you are unable to update Avast antivirus software, then there are two basic reasons for this:
- Incompatibility Issues
- Incorrect Installation
But if you applied this fix and still get this error then below are the easiest fixes that you can apply by yourself and fix this issue.
Solutions to fix Avast mobile virus definitions update failed error
Here are the few easiest methods that can work on all android devices.
- How To Fix Keep Getting Avast Setup is Already Running Error
- How To Fix Avast Scheduled Scan Not Running
- How To Fix Avast Causing Internet Connection Issues
- How to Stop Avast from Running in the Background?
- How To Fix Why Avast Causing High CPU Temp and Fan Speed
Fix 1. Manually Update the Virus Definitions
By manually updating the virus definitions, this will fix avast mobile virus definitions update failed error.
- From the bottom-right corner of your taskbar, click on the Avast icon. Then, click on Update followed by Engine and virus definitions.
- If the Avast antivirus doesn’t start checking your system for updates on its own, click on Check for updates.
- Wait till the Avast Antivirus checks for virus definition updates and installs them.
- Once the update is finished, the status will say: “Virus definitions are up to date.”
Now restart your mobile and check if the issue persists.
Fix 2. Update Avast Free Antivirus from Settings
- Open Avast on your system and go to the Menu from the upper-right corner
- Select Settings from the drop-down menu
- From the Settings menu, go to the General tab from the left pane and click on the option Update
- Under the Update tab, click on Check for Updates button and the update installation process will begin
- Once you have installed the latest updates of Avast Antivirus software, restart your system to apply the changes
- Launch the Avast antivirus app again to check if the error is gone or not
Fix 3. Clear Google Play Store Cache and Data
Clearing the cache and data from the google play store can help to mitigate this problem. Follow the below steps to wipe out all the cache.
- Go to Settings on your Android Device
- Tap on the app and navigate to the notification option
- Now go to More settings by tapping on the three-dot icon at the upper right corner
- Tap on Show System apps > Google Play Store app > Storage > Clear cache
- This will clear all your cache
Now restart your phone and check whether or not the problem is solved
Fix 4. Check Corrupted System Cache
Sometimes corrupted system cache causes the Avast Antivirus definition update failed error. To solve the Avast mobile updating problem, try this fix. These will help you to clear the corrupted system cache and mitigate the Avast Android virus definition update failed error.
- Use the Volume down key to search ‘Wipe Cache Partition.
- Press the Power button to select it
- Now press the Volume Down key until you see ‘Yes’, now press the power button.
- Wait until the wipe cache partition is completed.
- “Reboot System Now” is highlighted on the screen, press the Power key to restart the device.
Fix 5. Factory Reset Using Recovery Mode
If the above method does not work in resolving the Avast Android virus definition update failed error, then shift your phone back to default, this will help you in updating the latest version of Avast antivirus software.
- Turn off your Phone
- Press and hold the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously
- Continue in the same position until the screen starts
- ‘Start’ will appear on the screen pointing at the power button with text, navigation, and instructions
- Use the Power button to select and the Volume keys to navigate
- Use Volume Low key to reach Recovery mode
- Hit the Power button to select
- This will start your phone
- Now press and hold the Power button and press Volume up
- You will see Wipe data/Factory Reset
- Confirm ‘Yes’ by pressing the Power button
- Now leave the phone as it is and let it perform its things
- Once done, Reboot the system now
Now check the Avast Mobile virus definition update failed error is fixed.
Fix 6. Reset Avast Settings
Reser Avast settings will reset all the options and features of the app to their default values. You should re-configure these options again when you open the app after resetting.
- Launch Avast and click on the Menu option at the top right corner of the screen
- Now, select Settings from the drop-down list
- Then, navigate to the General tab and then select click on the Troubleshooting option
- Then, select the Reset to Default button
If you are prompted, click on Yes and proceed with the on-screen instructions. Check if you have fixed Avast antivirus not updating virus definitions issue or not
Fix 7. Reinstall Avast in Safe Mode
If resetting the avast does fix your issue, you should reinstall the app in safe mode. when you clean and install Avast, the faulty application along with the cache files and bugs will be fixed.