There have been several complaints reported online in different forums about Avast blocking the internet. Users have been receiving the message “Online Content is unavailable” when trying to access some websites.
This can happen for multiple reasons. Avast monitors HTTP and to prevent your system from malware attacks, it blocks malicious websites. Sometimes, scanning is not 100% right and the website you frequently visit also gets blocked by Avast causing this error, “Online Content is unavailable”. Moreover, Avast often blocks your internet and shows this error if you use IPS 188.8.131.52, which is for cloud flare.
If you are experiencing a similar problem and you are trying to find the solution to fix it you are in right place.
How To Fix Avast Online Content Is Unavailable
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Fix 1: Change DNS Settings
- Click the Windows Start icon and select Settings.
- Windows Settings screen will appear here click Network & Internet.
- Under Change your network settings, select Change adapter options.
- Right-click on the relevant Ethernet or Wi-Fi adapter in the Network Connections list based on what your connection type is.
- Now select Properties from the context menu.
- If the User Account Control prompt appears, click Yes.
- First, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and then click on Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS server addresses, then choose one of the public DNS providers and enter both preferred and alternate IP addresses into the relevant boxes.
|DNS provider||Preferred DNS server address||Alternate DNS server address|
|Google Public DNS||184.108.40.206||220.127.116.11|
- Now click OK to confirm.
- If the Windows Network Diagnostics window appears on your screen click on Cancel to exit it.
- Now press the Windows logo key and R keys simultaneously to run the Windows Services console and type cmd. Now click OK.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter. Your DNS settings are now changed.
Fix 2: Temporarily Disable Avast Antivirus
If Avast is interrupting your internet connection and displaying an “Online content is unavailable” error then the simplest way to fix this issue is to disable your Avast antivirus. It is a volatile solution and also leaves your system unprotected. However, you can temporarily disable your avast antivirus and run the program. Also, disabling and re-enabling the avast might solve the problem.
- Right-click on the Avast icon
- Click on the Avast shields control
- A side menu will appear. Disable Avast here and select for how long you want to disable avast.
- You will be provided with options; 10 minutes, 1 hour, until the computer restarts and permanently. Disable it for at least 10 minutes
- Confirm your action by clicking on Yes in the Avast prompt.
- All antivirus shields are off, would appear indicating Avast is disabled. message all in red in the main window when Avast is disabled.
Fix 3: Add Exceptions in Avast
Another better way to fix this error on your system is to add exceptions in avast. The websites added to the Avast exception list don’t get scanned by Avast hence they won’t be blocked. This would not just allow you to access the online content/website but it would also protect your system that was left unprotected in the case of disabling your antivirus only to run a program. This is how you can do this
- Open Avast and click on the Menu button.
- Select Settings and go to the General tab
- In a general tab, click on the Exceptions option.
- Now click on Add Exception option and either browse to the executable or file you want to unblock or write the website URL you want to run.
- Click on the Add Exception option to confirm the website to access its online content.
- You can view the Exception list and edit it by opening the exceptions option in the General tab. To remove any of the programs from the exception list just click on the trashcan icon beside it.
Fix 4: Turn Off the Shields
- Open the Avast application and click on Protection.
- Now click on the Core Shields and turn off the shields one by one and check if the “Online Content not available” error is still occurring.
Fix 5: Update Avast
Updating Avast is another ultimate solution to fix this issue. Here is how you can do this.
- Open Avast Antivirus
- Go to the Menu and select Update.
- Now Select Engine and Virus definitions.
- Go to the Virus definitions and the application one by one and click on Check for updates.
- Avast will now check for updates and automatically install them if any updates are found.
- Restart your computer once updates are finished.