Does playing Battlefield 2042 FPS drops from 60-80 FPS to 16-20 FPS. Here’s a Solution.
Since Battlefield 2042 release players are dealing with stuttering, lag, and FPS drop problems. To fix Battlefield 2042 FPS drops apply the fixes mentioned below.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Table of Contents
- What can cause FPS drops and stuttering on Battlefield 2042?
- Why Battlefield 2042 FPS Stuttering on my PC?
- How To Fix Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops on PC
- Fix 1. Restart You PC
- Fix 2. Update Graphics Card
- Fix 3. Enable Game Mode
- Fix 4. Enable DirectX 12
- Fix 5. Disable Overlay
- Fix 6. Disable Control Flow Guard for BF2042.exe
- Fix 7. Disable V-Sync
- Fix 8. Modify In-Game Graphics Settings
- Fix 9. Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
- Fix 10. Delete the cache for the game
What can cause FPS drops and stuttering on Battlefield 2042?
After reading queries on Reddit and alike forums we conclude that the Framerate drop problem occurs due to:
- Outdated graphics drivers.
- In-game Steam/Discord overlays.
- Corrupted game cache file.
- Wrongly configured in-game graphics settings
- Poor internet connection.
- Conflicting background applications.
Why Battlefield 2042 FPS Stuttering on my PC?
The in-game FPS drop problem on PC is associated with that system that doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements to play a game.
So before playing Battlefield 2042 you should check whether your PC is capable enough to play it. Otherwise, you need to upgrade or buy a gaming PC.
How To Fix Battlefield 2042 FPS Drops on PC
You don’t need to apply all the below fixes, simply work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
Fix 1. Restart You PC
Most of the time there’s a minor glitch that can easily be fixed by restarting your PC. Many users claimed that when FPS dropped while playing battlefield 2042 they restarted their PC and the problem went away.
Fix 2. Update Graphics Card
Outdated graphics card drivers can lead your PC to stutter while playing games. So you have to make sure that the graphics card’s drivers are updated to their latest version.
You can update GPU drivers using two ways, manually or automatically.
We recommend the automatic method as it’s easy, secure, and doesn’t require PC knowledge. For this purpose, you need to download Driver Easy software on your PC.
This tool is a well-known professional driver updater program that automatically detects and updates old system drivers.
Fix 3. Enable Game Mode
Follow these steps:
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Click on Gaming.
- From the left side click on Game Mode.
- Use the slider to turn it on.
Once enabled launch the game and check whether the battlefield 2042 FPS drops problem was resolved.
Fix 4. Enable DirectX 12
If you are playing Battlefield 2042 without DirectX’s latest version you are likely to see FPS drops and stuttering problems.
Battlefield 2042 is an advanced game so you need to enable DirectX 12 before playing it. It will help you get a smooth experience.
If you have an RTX Card then DirectX 12 will reduce stutter and increase overall performance. Follow these steps:
- Go to the game installation folder. Usually you can locate it on C/Users/username/Documents/Battlefield 2042/Settings
- Right-click on PROFSAVE_profile to open it using the NotePad.
- Set GstRender.Dx12Enabled 1.
- Save file.
Now try to play the game and see if the FPS still drops or the game stutters.
Fix 5. Disable Overlay
Many users are found saying that Steam, twitch, or Discord overlay is the main cause why Battlefield 2042 FPS drops.
This overlay does increase gaming performance but most of the time they cause interruption and hinders the game to run smoothly.
To disable Overlay on Discord:
- Open Discord.
Click the cog wheel icon at the bottom of the left to open Settings.
- Select the Game Overlay on the left side bar and switch off Enable in-game overlay.
To Disable Overlay in Twitch:
- Open Twitch studio.
- Go in to your profile at the top right to select Settings.
- Click on In-Game Overlay on the left hand side of the screen.
- Now click the toggle off the In-Game Overlay.
Fix 6. Disable Control Flow Guard for BF2042.exe
It’s a risky fix so you shouldn’t do it globally but it will instantly boost Battlefield FPS and reduce stuttering.
The Control Flow Guard is a security protocol, all you need is to set an exception for BF2042.exe.
Here’s how to disable it:
- Press Windows icon and type to open Virus & threat protection.
- Once it open go to Apps & browser control and click on Exploit Protection Settings.
- Toggle on Program Settings and click the plus icon to Add porgram to customize.
- Choose Add by program name and paste BF2042.exe.
- Scroll on the new window to find Control flow guard (CFG) and check Override system settings.
- Click Apply and then Yes.
Fix 7. Disable V-Sync
If you have enabled the V-Sync then the Battlefield will stutter, try to disable it from the game and enable it from the Nvidia Control Panel.
Fix 8. Modify In-Game Graphics Settings
If the Battlefield is still stuttering, then change the best graphics settings before playing the game to improve FPS.
- Texture Quality — High
- Texture Filtering — High
- Lighting Quality — Medium
- Effects Quality — Medium
- Post Process Quality — Low
- Mesh Quality — Low
- Terrain Quality — Medium
- Undergrowth Quality — Medium
- Antialiasing post-processing — TAA High
- Ambient Occlusion — Off
- Dynamic Resolution Scale — Off
- Nvidia Reflex Low Latency — Enabled + Boost
- Future Frame Rendering — Off
- Vertical Sync — Off
- Field of View — 74
- Brightness — 60
- Motion Blur — 0
- Chromatic Aberration — Off
- Film Grain — Off
- Vignette — Off
- Lens Distortion — Off
- Fullscreen Mode — Fullscreen
- Fullscreen Device — Pick the correct one
- Resolution — 1920×1080
- Refresh Rate — 143.855Hz
- Field of View — 80
Fix 9. Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
You should enable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling if you have Geforce 10 series or later/ Radeon 5600 or 5700 series graphics card with the latest drivers.
It can help you boost performance and resolve the battlefield 2042 FPS drops issue.
Follow these steps to enable it:
- Right-click on the empty space of desktop and select Display settings.
- From the bottom find Graphics settings and click on it.
- Turn on Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.
- Now click on Desktop app and select Browse.
- Navigate to the game’s installation directory and click on BF2042.exe to Add.
- Your game will start appearing on the list. Here click on the Options button.
- Select High Performance.
Fix 10. Delete the cache for the game
Sometimes the in-game cache stored on your PC cause battlefield 2042 FPS drops and stuttering problem.
You need to delete the game cache, here’s what to do:
- Head to the directory where you have installed the game.
- In Battlefield 2042 find the Cache folder.
- Open the Cache folder and delete all the files.
You Might Like Also: