If you’ve been facing annoying problems like stuttering, slow-motion gameplay, or low FPS while playing Battlefield 2042, you’re not alone.
Many gamers have shared similar concerns, reporting issues like laggy performance and unsatisfactory frame rates.
In this guide, we’ve got straightforward solutions to tackle these problems head-on. Whether you want to get rid of stuttering, boost your FPS, or fix slow-motion troubles, we’ve gathered easy-to-follow tips to make your Battlefield 2042 experience smoother.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
What Causes Stuttering and FPS Drops in Battlefield 2042?
The following are the main causes that trigger slow motion, stuttering, lag while playing BF2042.
- Outdated graphics drivers.
- In-game Steam/Discord overlays.
- Corrupted game cache file.
- Wrongly configured in-game graphics settings
- Poor internet connection.
- Conflicting background applications.
How To Fix Battlefield 2042 Stuttering, Slow Motion, & FPS Drops Issues
You don’t need to apply all the below fixes, simply work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
1. Check Shader Caching
In older Battlefield games, players could let the game run in spectator mode to pre-cache shaders, but this option isn’t available in Battlefield 2042.
Users experiencing stuttering might have to wait for the game to cache shaders during normal gameplay, leading to a smoother performance on subsequent plays.
2. Delete the Battlefield 2042 Cache
Sometimes the in-game cache stored on your PC cause battlefield 2042 FPS drops and stuttering problem.
You need to delete the game cache, here’s what to do:
- Head to the directory where you have installed the game.
- In Battlefield 2042 find the Cache folder.
- Open the Cache folder and delete all the files.
3. Update GPU Driver
Updating GPU drivers is suggested, as changes in drivers can affect shader caching and potentially lead to stuttering until the cache is rebuilt. Users are encouraged to stay up-to-date with the latest GPU drivers.
Before that, it is recommended to use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to perform a clean driver installation. This can help eliminate any potential conflicts or corrupted driver files.
4. Repair BF2042 Game
Clicking on “repair” in the game properties on the EA app is reported as a potential fix. However, it’s noted that this solution needs to be applied before starting the game each time, indicating that the issue might persist across sessions.
5. Clean Install BF2042
If repairing the game doesn’t work, a clean install is suggested. This involves uninstalling the game completely and then reinstalling it to ensure a fresh and potentially more stable installation.
6. Adjust Graphics Settings
Adjusting graphics settings is recommended. Setting all settings to low except for textures and medium geometry. This approach prioritizes playability over graphical fidelity.
7. Disable Integrated GPU (iGPU)
For many players, the battlefield 2042 stuttering issue is fixed once they disable the integrated GPU. So you should also try it.
- Open the Device Manager (you can open the start menu and type “Device Manager”).
- Go to the “Display Adapters” tab, which shows all the GPUs recognized by Windows.
- Identify the integrated GPU (usually named “Intel(R) HD Graphics“).
- Right-click on the integrated GPU and select “Disable Device.”
- After disabling the iGPU, try launching Red Dead Redemption 2 again.
8. Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling
You should enable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling if you have a Geforce 10 series or later/ Radeon 5600 or 5700 series graphics card with the latest drivers.
It can help you boost performance and resolve the battlefield 2042 FPS drops issue.
Follow these steps to enable it:
- Right-click on the space on the desktop and select Display settings.
- From the bottom find Graphics settings and click on it.
- Turn on Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.
- Now click on the Desktop app and select Browse.
- Navigate to the game’s installation directory and click on BF2042.exe to Add.
- Your game will start appearing on the list. Here click on the Options button.
- Select High Performance.
9. Optimize BIOS Settings
Tweaking BIOS settings can help you resolve stuttering issues. So once you are in the BIOS change these settings:
- Enable XMP/DOCP profiles for RAM.
- Disable CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores for Ryzen CPUs.
- Enable resizable BAR if available for newer GPUs.
10. Disable Cross-Play
Enabling Cross-Play is a factor that might slow down the game and contribute to stuttering, lag, or slow motion. Users experiencing issues may want to experiment with disabling Cross-Play to see if it improves performance.
11. Upgrade RAM & SSD
Upgrading RAM to 32 GB is recommended. This could potentially address performance issues related to insufficient memory, especially in demanding games like Battlefield 2042.
Ensure that the game is installed on an SSD. This might help improve overall performance and reduce stuttering.
12. Nvidia Shader Cache
Change the “Nvidia Shader Cache” setting to unlimited. This adjustment may help eliminate stuttering issues. You can find this setting in the Nvidia Control Panel.
13. User.cfg Tweaks
Use a user.cfg file with specific settings to optimize CPU usage. Example lines include:
- Thread.ProcessorCount 6
- Thread.MaxProcessorCount 6
- Thread.MinFreeProcessorCount 0
- Thread.JobThreadPriority 0 GstRender.
- Thread.MaxProcessorCount 12
14. Limit FPS
Limiting the FPS through tools like the Nvidia Control Panel or in-game settings may help reduce strain on the CPU and minimize stutters.
15. Enable Game Mode
Windows OS has a built-in feature called Game Mode that enhances performance and boosts FPS. If you want to play games on PC seamlessly then you need to enable Game Mode.
Follow these steps:
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Click on Gaming.
- From the left side click on Game Mode.
- Use the slider to turn it on.
Once enabled launch the game and check whether the battlefield 2042 FPS drops problem was resolved.
16. Disable Overlay
Many users are found saying that Origin, Steam, twitch, or Discord overlay may be the cause of Battlefield 2042 stuttering and FPS drops.
This overlay does increase gaming performance but most of the time it causes interruption and hinders the game from running smoothly.