Other than CSGO FPS drops issue, CSGO black screen on Startup is also becoming a serious concern for players.
Most of the time CSGO black screen error pops up when you launch the game or mid-game when you try to load a new game or after changing resolutions.
The main cause is the wrongly configured launch settings, outdated graphics card drivers. You should also not overrule the possibility of GPU overheating if you are overclocking it to get the best performance.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
How To Fix CSGO Black Screen on Startup Problem
Try below fix as these are accumulated from tech forums and these have helped players resolve the black screen.
Fix 1. Add autoconfig in the Steam Launch Option to Fix Black Screen in CS:GO
If you are playing CSGO on steam and experiencing it is stuck black screen, crashing, or freezing problems. Then try to add the autoconfig command in the Steam launch option to fix the issues.
Here is how to add this command:
- Open the Steam launcher from the desktop.
- Click on the Library tab from the main menu.
- From the left side right-click on the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and select Properties.
- A new window will appear click on General tab and then click on the Set launch options button.
- Here type -autoconfig in the Launch Options window then click OK.
Now launch the CSGO and check if the black screen on the startup problem is fixed.
Fix 2. Update The Graphics Card Driver
Make sure that you have the latest version of graphics card drivers on your PC. Especially if you are running on Windows 10 OS then also check if it’s fully up to date.
In case you are playing CSGO with outdated drivers then you will have to deal with a black screen on startup.
You can update GPU drivers using the control panel or downloading the driver updater tool. We however recommended our users to download Driver easy or IObit Driver Booster to updater their GPUs.
Fix 3. Check the Integrity of Game Files on Steam
Sometimes users face CSGO black screen on startup if the game files on the computer don’t match with the files on Steam Server.
It is because game files can get corrupt or broken over time, so all you need is to check the integrity of game files on Steam. During this process, if steam found any file broken it will repair it.
Here’s how to do it.
- Open Steam launcher.
- Click on Library and choose Counter-Strike: Global Offensive from the list on right side.
- Then right-click on CSGO and select Properties.
- Click on the Local Files tab.
- Click on the Verify Integrity Of Game Files button.
Wait for a minute to finish the process, then restart your PC and launch the game.
Fix 4. Modify CFG and Valve.rc Folder
If you have made changes to game files then you need to reset them. By doing it you won’t have to see a black screen on startup, crashing, or freezing.
Here’s how to do it:
- Right-click on the Steam launcher and choose Open File Location.
- Navigate to steamapps > Common > Counter-Strike Global Offensive folder.
- Within the CSGO folder find the CFG folder and rename it to cfg.old.
- Now open cfg folder and locate valve.rc, rename it to valve.old.rc.
Fix 5. Stop Overclocking Your GPU
If you are overclocking your GPU just to get more juice out of GPU, then stop it. It’s because GPU is overheating and it’s causing a black screen on startup.
First, you need to check your GPU temperature, and if it is not within the normal temp range then lower it.
Fix 6. Disable Multi-Core Rendering
Playing CSGO using Steam then disable multicore rendering to fix CSGO black screen on startup and crashing.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Steam and click on Library.
- Right-click on the CSGO from the list and choose the Play Game option.
- From the top click on Options and under it find Advanced Video Options.
- Here you will see Multicore Rendering settings use the arrow to disable it.
- Apply changes and restart the game.