Every once in a while you may come across a process called digital TV tuner device registration application. This process slows down system performance that is why you may think that it’s some kind of virus or malware.
The sooner you find it you may start looking for a fix to remove the digital TV tuner from your PC once and for all.
It’s understandable why you get worried about your system performance but what you miss is that this application is crucial if you love to watch cable TV on a computer.
In this post, we have explained what’s a digital TV tuner device registration application is and should you remove what hardship you will face.
Table of Contents
- What is a digital TV tuner device registration application?
- How to Remove Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application?
What is a digital TV tuner device registration application?
The digital TV tuner is an essential task that is a part of the Windows media center. This app always runs in the background allowing you to watch digital cable channels on your PC.
This app constantly scans for any TV tuners that might be attached to your PC. Resultantly your PC may get slower while performing nominal tasks.
Normally, users can’t detect this app until they install third-party antivirus software. Mainly, Avast and McAfee tend to single out this process as the one that slows down computers. Alternatively, you can also find the ehPrivJob.exe process in the task manager to pinpoint the main culprit.
Is the Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application Safe?
As already explained it’s not malware so you shouldn’t be worried about it. From a performance perspective, this app only slows your PC when you are actively using the TV tuning feature to watch cable TV.
When you run TV tuning features the process called ehPrivJob.exe starts automatically. During this process, it stores massive files on SSD/HDD also creating invalid registry entries. It ends up diminishing PC overall performance and sometimes becomes a major cause of CPU overheating.
How to Remove Digital TV Tuner Device Registration Application?
If the digital TV tuner app messes with your PC and you have decided to remove it permanently. Then there are ways to fix this problem.
Note: Removing this means that you have lost the ability to use your PC as a TV tuner to watch digital cable channels.
1. Turn it off Using Windows Add/Remove Utility
Follow these steps to remove the digital TV tuner;
- Press Windows Key + R to run the dialogue box, then type appwiz.cpl and press enter to open program and features.
- Inside the main screen click on “Turn Windows feature on or off” appearing on the left side.
- Wait for a moment so that list may be loaded up. Now scroll down and double-click on “Media features” to expand it.
- Now uncheck the box “Windows media player” and associated features to turn off the TV tuner.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
- Restart your computer.
2. Use Resource Monitor To Stop This Error
The ehPrivJob.exe process is directly linked with the digital TV tuner app. Once you pinpoint it then you can use a Resource Monitor to stop it from running. To do this follow these steps;
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open task manager.
- Click on the “Performance” tab, from there click on “Open Resource Monitor” appearing on the bottom left side of the screen.
- Now click on the CPU, Memory, and Disk section to find the ehPrivJob.exe process.
- Once you find this process right-click on it and choose “End Process”.
- You can use the resource monitor to stop all those processes that are slowing down your PC.
3. Uninstall TV Tuner Application from PC
You can also choose to uninstall it permanently from Windows 10 or remove it from your PC. Here’s how;
- Press Windows key + R to run the dialogue box and type “appwiz.cpl”. It will open Windows Program and Features.
- Here you can see the list of all the programs installed on your PC.
- Find “Digital TV Tuner” and click on it to uninstall.
- Follow the uninstallation wizard to complete the process.
- Once you finish, Run “Registry Editor”. To do this again press Windows key + R and type “Regedit”.
- Navigate to this address “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE” and make sure that the TV tuner app folder is completely removed.
- After that go to this address “Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run” and delete any remaining entry of the app.
- Now restart your PC.