Dota 2 FPS drops on Windows 11, and 10 and makes you frustrated!! Here in this article, we have covered all the fixes related to this problem.
Many Dota 2 players reported that fps drops after updates or gets stuck. This creates a disturbance in enjoying the game.
But Don’t worry! You are going to fix it easily and quickly by following the below fixes.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Table of Contents
- How to Fix Dota 2 FPS drops on Windows 11/10
- Fix 1. Verify the game files
- Fix 2. Update your drivers
- Fix 3. Install the latest game patch
- Fix 4. Turn off the Steam Overlay
- Fix 5. Modify Steam launch options for Dota 2
- Fix 6. Set Dota 2 to High priority
- Fix 7. Restrict applications and downloads in the background
- Fix 8. Set the Power Plan of your PC for the Best Performance
Why Does Dota 2 FPS drops on Windows
There are many causes of fps drops on windows. But the most common reasons that we have found are given below:
- PC configuration isn’t meeting the system requirements
- Outdated graphics driver
- Outdated Windows version
- Missing or corrupted game file
- An outdated game version
How to Fix Dota 2 FPS drops on Windows 11/10
Here are the fixes that are capable to resolve this gaming issue. You don’t need to apply all of the fixes at once. Just work your way down the list until you find the right solution.
Fix 1. Verify the game files
Game file corruption usually leads to FPS drops in Dota 2. To make sure that if any game files are missing or corrupted, follow the following instructions to verify the integrity of the game files:
- In Steam, navigate to the LIBRARY tab and right-click on Dota 2. Then select Properties.
- Go to the LOCAL FILES section, then click Verify the integrity of game files.
- It may take some time to finish verifying the game files.
Launch Dota 2 after verifying the process to see if this fix works. If works then try the next fix below.
Fix 2. Update your drivers
Dota 2 FPS drops issues arising on Windows 10 and 11 PC because of the outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. To improve gaming performance you need to update the graphics driver. There are two methods to update graphics cards i.e. Manual and Automatic.
In the manual method, you need to visit NVIDIA/AMD sites and search for the latest compatible drivers and download them on your PC. If you don’t have relevant skills then there are chances that you might install the wrong drivers.
So we suggest you adopt an automatic method in which you need to download Driver Easy on your PC. This tool will automatically scan your PC for outdated graphics drivers and update it instantly.
Fix 3. Install the latest game patch
It is possible that the recent patch has caused the game crash issue and a new patch is required to fix it. The game developers release regular game patches to fix bugs and improve gaming performance
If a patch is available, it will be detected by Steam, and the latest game patch will be automatically downloaded and installed when you run the game.
Run Dota 2 again and see whether the FPS is back to normal. If it hasn’t worked, or there was no new game patch available, move on to the next fix, below.
Fix 4. Turn off the Steam Overlay
FPS could also be dropped while playing Dota 2 when you save steam overlay turned off. We have found this issue on Reddit when many gamers complained about FPS drops on windows 10,11. Try disabling Steam Overlay for Dota 2 to see if FPS increases.
Following the below steps you can able to fps boost:
- Launch Steam and navigate to the LIBRARY tab. right-click on Dota 2. Then select Properties.
- In the GENERAL section, Uncheck Enable Steam Overlay while in-game
Now launch the dota 2 and check if the game runs smoothly, if the issue remains then move towards the next fix below.
Fix 5. Modify Steam launch options for Dota 2
You can also try using Steam launch options for Dota 2. If you want a full FPS boost, you can follow the steps below to Launch the game:
- Launch the Steam client and go to Steam Library. Right-click on Dota 2 and select Properties
- In the GENERAL section, enter the command into the textbox under SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.
- -map dota -high -dx11 +fps_max #
-map dota: lets steam load the Dota 2 map right when you launch the game.
-high: gives Dota 2 high priority CPU usage.
-dx11: forces your Windows OS run Dota 2 with the Direct3D (-dx11) rendering API. Use this command if your graphics card supports the redenring API DirectX 11.
+fps_max #: sets the maximum frame per second to the number that has been assigned. You can set the value # to 0 in order to uncap the FPS in the game, or let’s say 144 to cap your frame rate to a specific value. You can try to cap your frame rate to a value your computer can consistently hold.
Launch dota 2 and see if fps stuck issue resolved, if issue persist then try the next fix below
Fix 6. Set Dota 2 to High priority
Setting Dota 2 as high performance can pave a way for the allocation of new resources and also increases the game performance. Especially in that case if you have other programs running in the background
Here’s the steps you can set dota 2 as high priority:
- Launch Dota 2.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Shift and Esc at the same time to open Task Manager. You will be prompted for permission. Click Yes to open Task Manager.
- Navigate to the Detail tab. Right-click the process dota2.exe and select High.
We have also covered Genshin Impact not Launching on PC, If you are player of this game and it creates hindrance on you gameplay, you can make a look on it to enjoy your game without any programs disturbance.
Run Dota 2 to see if the in-game FPS boost. If the FPS is still the same, try the next fix, below.
Fix 7. Restrict applications and downloads in the background
If too many applications are running in the background then Dota 2 cause the problem and fps will not boost. So try restricting applications and downloads in the background before playing the game to see if this issue reappears. Here is how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Shift, and Esc at the same time to open Task Manager. You will be prompted for permission. Click Yes to open Task Manager.
- Select any other applications and programs that take up a large amount of CPU, memory, and network, and then click End task to close it.
Run Dota 2 again to see if you can play the game smoothly. if not, try the next fix, below.
Fix 8. Set the Power Plan of your PC for the Best Performance
In most cases, the power plan on PCs are configured to Balanced, which may limits the operating capacity of your graphics card and CPU.
If the power plan of your PC is Power saver or Balanced and you’re experiencing the FPS drops issue, try change the Power Plan of your PC for Best Performance:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then type powercfg.cpl and press Enter
- In the pop-up window, expand Hide additional plans and select High performance.
Launch Dota 2 to see if you resolve the FPS drops issue.