Elden Ring keeps freezing issue occurs when users installed the latest patch or they keep sending out co-op summons in a multiplayer game. The reasons for Elden Ring freezing may vary but here in this article, we have the solution to fix it.
Elden Ring is an open-world action RPG game developed by the Dark Souls developer, FromSoftware. This game allows you to create your own character and explore the worlds between realms and lands. Elden Ring Steam is available on Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and the Xbox Series X/S.
You can also read our related articles if you are dealing with Elden Ring Not Launching Elden Ring Black Screen on Startup Elden Ring Stuttering Elden Ring Multiplayer Not Working on PC, or Elden Ring Crashing on PC.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVER
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Why is my Elden Ring game keeps freezing?
There are multiple causes of Elden Ring freezing randomly, at the startup, or mid-game. After a bit of research, we have tried to list below the most common causes.
- The PC might not be meeting the System Requirement for the game.
- The game files could be corrupted.
- The Graphic Drivers of the PC might have become outdated.
- Outdated game patch
- Overclocked CPU/GPU
- Issues with overlay apps
How to fix Elden Ring Keeps Freezing Issues?
These are some methods to fix Elden ring freezing issue. You don’t need to apply them all work your way down the list until you find the one that does the trick
Fix 1. Make sure your PC meets the minimum requirements:
To run the game smoothly you must check these requirements to run Elden ring without any freezing issue:
|System Requirements||Minimum System Requirements||Recommended System Requirements|
|OS||Windows 10||Windows 10/11|
|Processor||INTEL CORE I5-8400 or AMD RYZEN 3 3300X||INTEL CORE I7-8700K or AMD RYZEN 5 3600X|
|Memory||12 GB RAM||16 GB RAM|
|Graphics||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1060 3 GB or AMD RADEON RX 580 4 GB||NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 8 GB or AMD RADEON RX VEGA 56 8 GB|
|DirectX||Version 12||Version 12|
|Storage||60 GB available space||60 GB available space|
|Sound Card||Windows Compatible Audio Device||Windows Compatible Audio Device|
Fix 2. Fix 2. Update your graphics driver
Most of the time Elden Ring keeps freezing issue occurs on those PCs that have outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. To improve gaming performance and fix the crashing on startup or while joining the game you need to update the graphics card driver.
There are two methods to update your system’s cards i.e. Manual and Automatic.
In the manual method, you need to visit the concerned site and search for the latest compatible drivers and download them on your PC. If you don’t have relevant skills then there are chances that you might install the wrong drivers.
So we suggest you adopt an automatic method in which you need to download Driver Easy on your PC. This tool will automatically scan your PC for outdated graphics drivers and update it instantly.
Fix 3. Run as an administrator:
To overcome this issue you need to run the game as an administrator. To do so,
- Firstly, navigate to the Elden Ring installation folder and right-click on the Elden Ring.exe file.
- Then select the Properties from the drop-down menu options.
- Inside the Elden Ring.exe window, select the Compatibility tab, tick the checkbox beside the Run this program as an administrator, and click OK.
Finally, restart the system and check if it’s still freezing randomly, if yes then try the next fix below.
Fix 4. Check Integrity of Game Files:
Sometimes corrupted and missing game files can cause Elden Ring feezing issues. Game files can be damaged during installation. Here’s how you can check the integrity of game files.
- Firstly, open Steam on your computer screen and click on the Library section.
- Inside the Library, select and right-click on the Elden Ring and choose its Properties option.
- On the newly opened screen, select the Local Files and click on the Verity integrity of game files.
Finally, restart the system and see the game running smoothly now.
Fix 5. Disable Overlays:
Are you using the overlay feature of Discord or GeForce to enhance the gaming experience? If ye then these overlays can also cause freezing issues. To fix this problem you need to disable it. Here’s how:
In GeForce Experience
- Firstly, open GeForce Experience and click on the Settings icon from the top right side of the home screen.
- Then turn off the toggle beside the In-game overlay option on the next screen.
- Firstly, open Discord and click on the Settings icon from the bottom left side of the home screen.
- On the next screen, select the Overlay and turn off the toggle next to Enable in-game overlay option.
Now, restart the system and check the game running properly on your system.
Fix 6. Lower Graphics Settings:
Many players reported that lower the graphic settings can help them to overcome the freezing issues. Lowering the graphic setting can help you to get rid of Elden ring freezing issue and you will enjoy your game. Firstly, go into the game Graphics Settings and lower all the features in the list.
Fix 7. Perform a Clean Boot:
Sometimes apps installed on your system interfere with your game, it will affect the performance of the game and then lead to many issues. So to overcome this freezing issue you need to perform a clean boot. Here’s how you can:
- Firstly, type System Configuration in your computer search box and open the top result.
- Then select the Services tab and tick the box beside the Hide all Microsoft services.
- Now click on the Disable all and OK button.
- Further, move to the Startup tab, and you need to click on the Open Task Manager link.
- Inside the Task Manager, select the Startup and disable one service at a time listed there and restart the system and see the issue resolved.
Continue the same process until you find the problematic service. Once found, remove it from your system permanently.
Fix 8. Reinstall the Game:
If all of the above solutions go in vain and Elden Ring freezing issue still persists then reinstall the game so it will help you to solve the freezing issue.