It’s very irritating to see Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Keeps Crashing on PC? Don’t worry after applying the fixes mentioned here it won’t crash.
Players are complaining on Reddit that Bannerlord crashes when they click campaign or when moving the map. Other users face crashing on startup or while loading.
If you are consistently dealing with crashing or Bannerlord application crashes because it could not get new memory from the operating system. Then we have found all the possible fixes that can help you
Just need to scroll down and apply the fixes that best suit you.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Why Does Mount & Blade Bannerlord Keep Crashing?
There are multiple reasons that could become a source of Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Keeps Crashing on startup or while loading the game. The most common causes are:
- Outdated graphics driver
- Corrupt game files
- Conflicting software that you might have installed on your PC
- Antivirus software blocking the game from launch
- Unnecessary background tasks
How To Fix Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord Keeps Crashing Problem?
You don’t need to apply all of the fixes at once. Just work your way down the list until you find the right solution.
Fix 1. Verify the integrity of game files
If the game has missing and corrupted files it might lead to crashes on startup. You need to verify the integrity of game files using steam. During this process steam will analyze the game files and restore any missing or corrupted files with the new one.
Follow these instructions below:
- Run Steam and click LIBRARY.
- Right-click Mount & Blade II: Bannerlordand and select Properties.
- Click the LOCAL FILES tab, and then click VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
- Wait for the scans to be complete, then relaunch the game.
If Mount & Blade 2 still crashes, try the next solution.
Fix 2. Update your graphics driver
Most of the time Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord keeps crashing problem occurs on those PC that have outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. To improve gaming performance and fix the crashing on startup or while loading you need to update the device driver.
There are two methods to update your system’s cards i.e. Manual and Automatic.
In the manual method, you need to visit the concerned site and search for the latest compatible drivers and download them on your PC. If you don’t have relevant skills then there are chances that you might install the wrong drivers.
So we suggest you adopt an automatic method in which you need to download Driver Easy on your PC. This tool will automatically scan your PC for outdated graphics drivers and update it instantly.
Fix 3. Rename the Bannerlord folder
If the Mount & Blade 2 was working fine and the crashing issue only started after installing the latest game patch then we suggest you rename the Bannerlord folder with the old_Bannerlord.
- If you’re running Steam, right-click the Steam icon on the taskbar, and then select Exit.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and E at the same time.
- Paste C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common on the address bar.
- Rename the Bannerlord folder to old_Bannerlord
- Relaunch Steam to reinstall the game.
If the Bannerlord still crashes on your PC, move on and try the solution below.
Fix 4. Increase virtual memory
If the Bannerlord application crashed because it could not get new memory from the operating system. It means that your computer runs out of RAM when performing an intensive task, Windows will dip into virtual memory for temporary file storage.
If the virtual memory is not sufficient to save temporary files, applications running on your PC might fail.
In this case, follow the instructions below to increase the size of your virtual memory:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type advanced system settings.
- Click View advanced system settings.
- Click Settings.
- Now click the Advanced tab, and then click Change.
- Uncheck the box next to Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Click your C drive.
Click the options button next to the Custom size, and then type 4096 in the text box next to Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB).
Initial size –This value varies, depending on your computer. If you’re not sure what value to use, just enter whatever the number is in the Recommended category.
Maximum size– Don’t set this value too high. It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. e.g. A PC with 4 GB (4096 MB) of RAM should have no more than about 6,144 MB of virtual memory (4096 MB x 1.5).
- Click Set, and then click OK.
- Restart your computer and your game.
You should be able to run Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord without crashing now. If not, check the solution below.
Fix 5. Check for Windows updates
Outdated Windows components can also cause Bannerlord keeps crashing issues. You need to make sure that you have installed the latest updates for Windows 10 or 11.
Here is how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Then, type windows update and select Windows Update settings.
- Click Check for updates, and then wait for Windows to download and install the updates automatically.
- Restart your computer after the update is complete, then try running the game again.
Fix 6. Close unnecessary apps
Unwanted apps running in the background eat up your system resources causing crashing or freezing issues. You need to stop all the redundant apps from running in the background and try playing the game.
Here’s how you can close Overlay Apps:
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc keys to open up the Task Manager.
- Now, under the Processes tab, scroll the list and look for all the overlay services that are running in the background.
- Select one by one and click on the End Task button.
If you are using the MSI Afterburner tool to overclock your PC, uninstall it. It might be causing overheating on your PC.
Fix 7. Use Windowed mode
Are you hearing a black screen when launching the Bannerlord on PC where you only hear sound then sudden the Mount & Blade 2 crashes? This occurs when the game runs at a resolution higher than that of the display.
You can easily fix Bannerlord’s black screen on startup by pressing the Alt + Enter after you see the black screen. This will allow the game to run in the Windowed mode.
You can play the game this way, but if you want to go full-screen, you have to go to Settings and change the resolution to default.
Fix 8. Install the latest version of Visual C++ Redistributable and DirectX
The Visual C++ and the Direct X latest version are required to play the Bannerlord on PC. These programs are essential to show graphics in a smooth way.
In case these tools are outdated or you haven’t installed them while downloading the Bannerlord on PC then install it now.
From here you can get the latest version of DirectX and Visual C++ Redistributable on your computer.