There is an ongoing discussion among Nintendo Switch users about an error in which friends don’t show up and always appear offline even if they are online. It has caused great inconvenience and Nintendo Switch users are looking for a solution.
It randomly happens with no apparent reason behind it. It’s also reported that this error sometimes occurs even if both the consoles are using the same Wifi.
However, it is important to know why this error occurs in order to fix the “my friend always appears offline” complaint of users. Hence, it is figured out that there can be some problems with your console that are possibly causing this error on the Nintendo switch.
- Random bugs and glitches on your console
- Outdated Nintendo Switch software
- Corrupted notification settings of your console
- Network connectivity or network settings issue with Nintendo Switch
This error is very common and there are no official solutions but we have come up with some tricks and solutions that can fix this problem. It is observed that some fixes do not work for every user but here are some of the well-known affective tricks that may help you get rid of this error.
How To Fix Friends Always Appear Offline Even When Online On Nintendo Switch
Fix 1: Restart Nintendo Switch.
The very first troubleshooting step that you must do to resolve any error is to refresh the system. You can do this by turning off the console and restarting it.
- Press and hold the Power button on the top of your Nintendo Switch
- Choose Restart from the power options.
Fix 2: Perform Internet Connection Test
Another important step to fix friends who always appears offline even when online on Nintendo switch is to verify the internet connection. Ensure that your Nintendo Switch is online by running an internet connection test.
- Go to the Nintendo Home screen and select System Settings.
- Click on the Internet.
- Now choose Test Connection.
If the internet connection test shows that your Nintendo Switch is offline, it will show your friends as offline.
Fix 3: Check for Software Updates
Another possible solution for this error is to check for software updates. Here is how you can do this
- Go to the Nintendo Home screen.
- Select System Settings then click on System.
- Now select System Update.
- If there are any available system updates. Install them.
Fix 4: Update Nintendo Switch Notification Settings
One of the reasons why Nintendo switch consoles show friends lists as offline even if they are online is outdated notification settings. To fix this problem you must update notification settings. Here is how you can do this.
- Go to the Nintendo Home screen
- Choose System Settings.
- Go to Notifications
- Press and hold either the Left or Right stick/ + or – button.
- Now click Update
Fix 5: Delete and Add Your Friends
Another very effective way to fix this issue is to delete and then re-add friends. This is a practical solution as it has fixed the issue of many of my friends who were facing this issue on the Nintendo switch.
How To Delete/Remove Friend in Nintendo Switch?
- Go to the Nintendo Home screen
- Click your Profile icon in the upper left corner.
- Highlight Friend List and friends will be displayed.
- Choose the friend you want to remove.
- Select Options and hit Delete Friend
How To Add Your Friend to Nintendo Switch?
You can add friends by either sending a friend request or by accepting a friend request. To add a friend by sending a friend request follow these steps:
- From the HOME Menu, select the icon of your user to access your user page.
- On your user page, select “Add Friend“.
- Select the method by which you want to add a friend and follow the on-screen instructions.
Fix 6: Disconnect and Reconnect to Gateway or Router
If the issue persists you can try to disconnect from your home wifi or router and reconnect. It has fixed the issue of many users.
Fix 7: Connect Using a Different Access Point
Connecting to Nintendo Switch using a different access point has also helped many users resolve this issue. Place the Nintendo Switch within 10 feet of the router to ensure a strong signal and follow these steps
- On the Nintendo Switch console go to the Home Menu.
- Select Settings
- Now click on Internet, and then choose Internet Settings. Nintendo Switch will automatically search for nearby Wi-Fi signals.
- Select the appropriate network name (SSID)
- Now enter the network’s wireless password.
- The Nintendo Switch will test the Internet connection. Once it is completed, click on OK.
How to Appear Offline on Nintendo Switch
- From the Switch home screen, select your profile from the icons displayed at the top of the screen.
- On your profile page, scroll down to “User Settings” on the sidebar.
- In User Settings, scroll all the way down until you come to the Friend Settings subsection. Select “Friend Settings.”
- Select the first option in the list: “Who do you want to see your online status?“
- From here, you can opt to appear offline to everyone by selecting “No one” — the last item on the list.
- You can also select to appear online to some people by simply choosing “Best friends.”