God of War Crashing on PC while launching the game or mid-game during fights or in open surroundings. Here you can find the working solutions.
Now again the users are complaining on Reddit that:
I’m having a problem with crashing at the beginning of the game when you encounter the dead draugrs. The game was running fine to this point but now it continually crashes even after installing the new drivers and restarting my PC. If anyone has any solutions or anything it would greatly be appreciated.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Download Driver Easy to update all the missing/outdated device drivers on a PC.
If you are also dealing with God of War crashing on PC then you can apply the below fixes.
Table of Contents
- UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS in Windows 11, 10 and 7
- Why Does God of War Keep Crashing?
How To Fix God of War Crashing on PC/Not Launching
- Update Graphics Driver
- Run the game as an administrator
- Disable background apps
- Increase the virtual memory of your PC
- Set the GoW process to priority in Task Manager
- Change Power Plan Options
- Play God of War in clean boot
- Verify integrity of game file on Steam
- Disable CPU/GPU overclocking
- Replace HDD on Your PC
Why Does God of War Keep Crashing?
If the God of War runs for 5 to 30 minutes and then it crashes there are multiple reasons that can trigger this issue.
Maybe your PC is unable to meet the system requirement to play the game. There may be third-party app including antivirus that is causing interference. You might be running the overlay features that have gone rogue.
The God of War startup crashing also occurs on overclocked CPUs or GPUs, or corrupted or missing game files.
The outdated Windows, games, or graphics driver is another cause that can cause crashing on startup.
How To Fix God of War Crashing on PC/Not Launching
If the God of War keeps crashing or won’t launch on PC then first you need to make sure that there are no pending Windows and game updates. You can use the Steam client to update your game.
If the God of War still crashing then you need to follow these steps.
Update Graphics Driver
Although many users are told that updating the graphics drivers doesn’t fix the issue still it’s reasonable to first check your GPU driver.
If they are outdated then update them using the Device Manager which is the Windows 10/11 built-in tool.
Alternatively, you can also download the driver updater tool on your PC that automatically scans and updates the outdated drivers.
Run the game as an administrator
Simply running the PC game with administrator access solves the crashing or not launching problems. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on God of War or Steam.
- Click on Properties.
- Under the Compatibility tab, tick Run this program as an administrator.
- Select Apply and then click on the OK to save the settings.
Disable background apps
Users will face God of War crashing on PC if they are playing the game along with other tasks running in the background.
Especially if you are running Google Chrome it consumes more resources so you need to close all those processes. Simply open Task Manager and in Processes tab locate and End Task all unwanted processes to provide more resources to the game.
Increase the virtual memory of your PC
Still, God of War keeps crashing on PC it’s because you are low on Ram so you need to upgrade the RAM to play the game.
For the time being, you can manually increase the virtual memory of your system to fix this issue. Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows logo key and type to open View advanced system settings.
- Under the Performance section, click Settings
- From the new window, navigate to the Advanced tab. Under the Virtual memory section, click Change.
- Deselect the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox. Then select Customize size.
- Enter Initial size and Maximum size according to the physical memory of your computer. Microsoft recommends that virtual memory should be 1.5 to 3 times the size of physical memory.
- Once you’ve entered your size of virtual memory, click Set, then click OK to save the changes.
- Restart your computer.
Set the GoW process to priority in Task Manager
Another workable solution for God of War crashing on PC is to switch priority mode to the highest using the Task Manager.
It helps the game to use more PC resources that will help it to run smoothly. Read our thorough guide on How To Set CPU Process Priority for Applications in Windows 10
Change Power Plan Options
By default, your PC is set to use balanced power but if you change it to high performance your system will consume more power giving you more performance.
To change the PC power settings follows these steps:
- Press Windows + R and type control to open Control Panel.
- Change View by to Large icons.
- Click on Power Options.
- Select High or Ultimate Performance.
Play God of War in clean boot
Clean boot is a state where no other process or service run except God of War. This process helps users to identify the services that might be causing the problem.
Follow these steps to run the game in clean boot.
- Press Win + R and type msconfig to open System Configuration.
- Click on the Services tab and check the box from the bottom Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Now click on Disable all and Apply > Ok.
- Click on thr Startup tab and open Task Manager.
- Disable all thr startup programs.
Now restart the God of War to check if it’s still crashing or not.
Verify integrity of game file on Steam
The God of War keeps crashing on PC because there might be some game files that are missing or corrupted from your HDD.
You need to verify the integrity of game files using Steam. This process will take time but it will replace any potential missing game file.
- Open Steam, go to the Library.
- Right-click on God of War and click on Properties.
- Navigate to the Local Files tab.
- Now, Click on Verify Integrity of game files.
Disable CPU/GPU overclocking
Do you have downloaded the benchmarking software to overclock your CPU or GPU? If yes, then overclocking is the main issue that God of War is crashing on PC.
If underclock your CPU/GPU your system will not overheat fixing any game crashing or black screen issues.
Replace HDD on Your PC
If the God of War is crashing on PC it’s because the files are corrupted due to scratches on the HDD disk.
Most users claimed that they have physically seen the scratches on the disk causing more and more crashing until the game won’t even work anymore.
You need to buy an external HDD install the God of War on it and then play the game. If the GoW isn’t crashing then replace your internal HDD.