Resident Evil 4 is one of the most beloved games in the Resident Evil series, and when a remake of the game was announced, fans were understandably excited. However, now at this moment some PC players have reported issues with FPS drops and stuttering while playing the game.
This can be frustrating and can detract from the overall experience of playing the game. In this article, we will explore why these issues occur and how to fix Resident Evil 4 Remake FPS Drop issue on PC.
Why does FPS Drop and Stuttering Occur in the Resident Evil 4 Remake?
There can be several reasons why FPS drops, and stuttering occurs in Resident Evil 4 Remake on PC. Some common reasons include outdated hardware, incompatible graphics card drivers, background processes, and other software conflicts.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
- Outdated Hardware: If your PC hardware is outdated, it can struggle to run the game, causing FPS drops and stuttering. For example, if your CPU or graphics card is several years old, it may not be able to keep up with the game’s demands.
- Incompatible Graphics Card Drivers: Sometimes, the graphics card drivers installed on your PC can be incompatible with the game. This can cause the game to run poorly, resulting in FPS drops and stuttering.
- Background Processes: If you have too many programs running in the background while playing Resident Evil 4 Remake, it can slow down your PC, causing FPS drops and stuttering.
- Software Conflicts: Sometimes, other software installed on your PC can conflict with the game, causing it to run poorly.
How To Fix FPS Drop and Stuttering in Resident Evil 4 Remake on PC
Now that we know why FPS drops and stuttering occurs in Resident Evil 4 Remake on PC, let’s explore how to fix them.
1. Update Graphic Card Drivers
Make sure to update your graphics card and other hardware drivers to the latest version. This will ensure that your PC is optimized for gaming and can handle the demands of the game.
- Go to Device Manager from the list you will see after right-clicking on the Windows button.
- Double-click on the Display adapters category to expand.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card name.
- Select Update driver.
- Click on Search automatically for drivers.
- Once done, make sure to reboot your computer to change the effects then check for the issue.
Best Alternate To Update Graphics Driver
No doubt you can download game-specific drivers from NVIDIA and AMD sites but it’s a time-consuming task. If you are a newbie you can end up installing the wrong drivers.
So we recommend downloading Driver Easy software on your PC. This program is a professional system driver updater that automatically scans a PC’s old driver and updates them instantly.
The Driver Easy is an N0.1 software updater tool in its field and for 12 years users are using it to fix their PC errors.
So download Driver Easy and let it deal with all the system drivers.
2. Adjust In-Game Settings
Lowering your graphics settings can help improve performance and prevent FPS drops and stuttering. Try lowering the resolution or reducing the quality of shadows, reflections, and other visual effects.
Open the game settings and lower the graphics settings. Try reducing the resolution or turning off visual effects like shadows, reflections, and anti-aliasing. This will help reduce the strain on your hardware and improve performance.
3. Close Unnecessary Tasks
Close any unnecessary programs and processes that are running in the background while playing the game. This will free up resources and help improve performance.
Close any unnecessary programs running in the background while playing the game. This can be done by opening the Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), selecting any unnecessary programs, and clicking “End Task“.
4. Disable Fullscreen Optimization
Disabling Fullscreen Optimization can potentially help improve the performance of Resident Evil 4 Remake and reduce FPS drops and stuttering issues on Windows 11/10. Fullscreen Optimization is a feature that allows Windows to optimize the game’s display settings for better performance.
To disable Fullscreen Optimization for Resident Evil 4 Remake, you can follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Resident Evil 4 Remake’s shortcut or executable file and select “Properties.”
- Go to the “Compatibility” tab.
- Check the box that says “Disable fullscreen optimizations.”
- Click “Apply” and then “OK” to save the changes.
5. Check for Overheating
If your hardware is overheating, it can cause performance issues. Use software like Core Temp or HW-Monitor to monitor your hardware temperatures while playing the game. If the temperatures are too high, try cleaning your PC or using a cooling pad to keep your hardware cool.
6. Set High Priority
Setting Resident Evil 4’s priority to “high” in the Task Manager can potentially help improve performance, as it tells the system to allocate more resources to the game. However, it’s important to note that this may not always work, and it’s not recommended to set the priority to “real-time” as it can cause instability and other issues.
To set Resident Evil 4’s priority to “high” in the Task Manager, you can follow these steps:
- Launch the Resident Evil 4.
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Go to the “Details” tab.
- Right-click on the game’s process (usually called “re4.exe”).
- Select “Set priority” and choose “High” from the options.
7. Adjust GPU Settings
Adjusting your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) settings can potentially help improve the performance of Resident Evil 4 Remake and reduce FPS drops and stuttering issues. Here are some settings you can try:
- Overclocking: Overclocking your GPU can increase its performance by boosting the clock speed and memory frequency. However, overclocking can also increase heat output and may cause instability if done improperly. It’s recommended to research and follow safe overclocking practices.
- Fan Speed: Increasing your GPU’s fan speed can help keep it cool during intense gameplay and prevent overheating, which can cause performance issues. You can adjust the fan speed through the GPU manufacturer’s software or third-party software like MSI Afterburner.
- Power Limit: Increasing your GPU’s power limit can provide it with more power and improve its performance. However, this can also increase heat output and may require a higher wattage power supply. You can adjust the power limit through the GPU manufacturer’s software or third-party software like MSI Afterburner.
8. Enable Game Mode
Enabling Game Mode on Windows 11/10 can potentially help improve the performance of Resident Evil 4 Remake and reduce FPS drops and stuttering issues. Game Mode is a feature designed to optimize the system for gaming, by allocating more system resources to the game and minimizing background processes.
To enable Game Mode on Windows 11/10, you can follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + G to open the Xbox Game Bar.
- Click on the settings icon (gear icon) on the right side of the Game Bar.
- Scroll down and look for the “Game Mode” option.
- Toggle the switch to turn on Game Mode.
9. Verify the Resident Evil 4 Remake
Verifying game files can help fix any corrupted or missing game files that may be causing FPS drops and stuttering issues in Resident Evil 4 Remake. Here’s how you can verify game files:
- Launch the Steam client.
- Go to your game library and right-click on Resident Evil 4 Remake.
- Click on “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the “Local Files” tab and click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”
- Wait for the process to complete and then check for the issue.