Are you still using a third-party Windows 10 FPS counter program to monitor FPS while playing gaming? Or want to pick an FPS counter software out of a wide variety.
Then wait recently Microsoft has listened to the popular demand of its user and introduced a Built-in Windows 10 FPS counter in its little known tool called Xbox Game Bar.
All you have to do is to download the latest version of the Xbox Game Bar version to use the built-in Win 10 FPS counter.
If you don’t know how to use Windows 10 built-in FPS counter or you didn’t know about this major improvement yet then this post is for you to read.
How to Use Windows 10 FPS Counter
The latest Xbox game bar version has this new amazing feature to monitor FPS. To use the FPS counter you need to open the Xbox game bar.
- Press Windows + G (short key to open Xbox Game Bar)
If it doesn’t appear via short command then follow these steps;
- Press Windows + I to open Settings > Gaming > Xbox Game Bar.
- Now make sure to toggle On.
Once open you can see game car interface like this
Now look for the “Performance” widget in the Game Bar overlay. If you can’t see the Performance panel, then click on the menu button on the game bar appearing on the top of your screen adjacent to the “Volume” icon.
Click on the “Performance” and a floating widget will appear.
You will only see the FPS option in the Xbox game bar if you have the latest version installed on your PC. If you are using this option for the first time just like me.
Read Also: [Fixed] CS: Go FPS Drop Problem in 2021
You’ll see a message saying that you need expanded User Account Control access to get FPS info about PC games.
Click on “Request Access” to continue. You will be asked to allow “Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device” click “Yes”
After that you need to reboot/restart your PC to enable Windows 10 FPS counter. The FPS meter will show you number when you play game.
Fix Windows 10 Built-in FPS Counter not Working
What if you have updated the Xbox game bar and completed the setup still can’t see the FPS meter in Windows 10 while playing the game. It’s because you don’t have administrator access to your system. To check if you have administrator access follow these steps.
Read Also: How to Enable FPS Counter in MSI Afterburner
This solution is only for Windows 10 Pro users
- Click on the Windows logo key and type “Computer Management”
- Select Local Users and Groups > Groups
- From the list find “Performance Log Users” and click on it, not seeing your account in the Members box.
Manually add your administrator account
- Again open “Computer Management” from the desktop search box
- Select Local Users and Groups > Groups > Click on Performance Log Users.
- A new box will appear press “Add”, then following the prompts. Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Now you have access to use FPS meter in Windows 10 PC.
Windows 10 Home users Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key
- Type “cmd” right-click and open as administrator
- Type >net localgroup'”Performance Log Users” Jesus /add
How To Turn Off FPS Counter in Windows 10
If you don’t want to let access the Xbox game bar from displaying FPS and you want to turn it off. Follow these steps;
- Type Computer Management in the desktop search box, select Local Users and Groups > Groups > Performance Log Users.
- Choose a user account then press Remove.
- Restart your PC for the change to take effect.