If you’re a Call of Duty: Modern Warfare player experiencing difficulties accessing the multiplayer mode, you’re not alone. Fortunately, we’ve got you covered with a troubleshooting guide to help you resolve the issue on your PS4 or PS5.
By following our tips, you can quickly get back to enjoying your favorite game. So, let’s dive into the solutions and resolve the COD Modern Warfare Multiplayer not working issue. Keep reading to find out more.
Why Is Modern Warfare Multiplayer Not Working on PS4/PS5?
There may be several causes for this problem some of these are:
- Internet connectivity issues
- Outdated game or system software
- Server downtime or maintenance
- NAT type restrictions
- Corrupted game files
- Firewall or antivirus blocking the game
- Overloaded game servers
- Console hardware issues
- Insufficient storage space on the console
How To Fix Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer Not Working on PS4/PS5?
Try the solutions listed for COD Modern Warfare not working, test them one by one, and ensure a stable internet connection.
1. Check Modern Warfare 2 Servers
Check the COD: Modern Warfare 2 server status on the official page. If the server is up, but you’re having issues, it might be a random problem. Watch COD’s social media like Twitter for updates on server issues and fixes by Infinity Ward.
2. Disband and Rehost Your Party
To fix the COD: Modern Warfare 2 not working problem while matchmaking, Reddit players have suggested leaving and disbanding the party, then rehosting it.
- Start the game and go to the main menu.
- Choose “Multiplayer” and select “Create a Party.”
- Invite friends to the party and start the game.
- Once the game starts, go to the main menu and select “Leave Party.”
- Disband the party and rehost it.
- Start the game again, and you should be able to join online matches without any issues.
- If this method doesn’t work, try hosting the party with a different player.
3. Launch the game through its dedicated launcher
You can try launching the game separately if the game isn’t allowing you to access the multiplayer mode since you launched it using the Cold War launcher. This problem has affected Call of Duty: Cold War players ever since Activision included Modern Warfare Multiplayer and Warzone.
Hence, if necessary, try launching the game separately depending on the platform you’re using to play. Avoid launching the Modern Warfare game from the Cold War launcher and do it instead by launching it from its own dedicated launcher.
- Launch COD: Modern Warfare on your PS4 and PS5 from its specific list of games rather than the Cold War interface.
4. Clear the cache
In certain situations, stored cache files with defective or damaged data might even make your gaming system believe that you don’t own the multiplayer feature or perhaps the whole game so it not works. You could try deleting the cache on your gaming system to fix this. For PS4 and PS5, follow these instructions to delete the cache files.
- Push and hold the power button until you hear a beep. Make sure the PS4 is turned on as you complete this.
- The LED indicator will finish blinking. Now, take the power cord out of the PS4’s backside.
- Allow at least 30 seconds for the powerful batteries to totally discharge. All presently cached temporary data will be removed at this point.
- Reconnect the power cord and switch on the PS4 at this point.
5. Updating the licenses
With your PS4 or PS5 system, there are more chances that the license discrepancy is the cause of your problem if you recently bought the game COD Modern Warfare. Fortunately, Sony has made it easy for its consumers to update their licenses and inform the corporation that they genuinely own this game.
Even if you are unable to play COD: Modern Warfare’s multiplayer mode, the licensing may be the problem. You’ll need to update your licenses to address this, and you can do that by following these steps.
- On your console’s home screen, navigate to Settings.
- Go to Account Management > Restore Licenses after entering Settings. If asked, confirm your decision.
- When the procedure is finished, wait for the console to reboot.
- On the home screen’s upper left corner, select Settings.
- Navigate to Users and Accounts > Other > Restore Licenses.
- Next, check to Restore and then confirm your decision in the following prompt box.
- Wait for the procedure to finish, then restart your PS5.
6. Install Missing Multiplayer Data Packs on PS5
The problem may be a missing multiplayer package since you won’t be able to play the game in multiplayer mode if the necessary multiplayer packages are missing. The PS5 and other recent consoles have mostly included this.
Either from inside the game itself or via the PlayStation Store, you may install the missing data packs. The simple methods for installing it from within the game. Make sure your PS5 console has at least 90GB of free storage before beginning the operation.
- Start COD: Modern Warfare, then wait until you see the game’s home screen.
- On your controller, press R3 to access the Manage Installs option.
- Install the multiplayer data packs by switching to the MODERN WARFARE GAME PACKS tab.
- Restart your PS5 to determine whether the problem has been resolved after installing the missing data packs.
7. Change Your DNS Address
Changing the default DNS addresses assigned by your internet service provider (ISP) may fix matchmaking errors in COD: Modern Warfare 2. This can happen if DNS servers go down or accidentally filter/block connections to specific servers.
To solve this problem, consider switching to commonly used DNS servers such as Google’s (126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52) or Cloudflare’s (184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11).