The reason varies as to why MSI Afterburner can’t change the fan speed on your PC. This article will provide you with all the troubleshooting tips you need to resolve can’t change fan speed on laptop or PC using MSI Afterburner.
MSI Afterburner is used by the majority of people to overclock their systems, by adjusting the settings of their hardware.
No doubt, MSI Afterburner is the best fan speed controller software. Millions of users are using this tool to overclock their PC and check CPU temperature on PC. Its most popular feature is custom fan speed and graphs.
You can easily adjust your PC fan speed to counter the overheating problem. Lately, many users that have gigabyte 2070 Windforce, Gigabyte Rtx 2080, or R9 295×2 are complaining that MSI Afterburner is greyed out can’t change the fan speed.
Problem: Can’t change fan speed in MSI Afterburner…
I wanted to test the fans in my GPU, but for some reason, the fan control is greyed out. I tried googling this but didn’t find an answer on any other topic. In the settings, there is nothing to enable the fan control speed. Does anyone know how to do this? I’ve noticed that other people have the fan curve tab to set the fan speed according to the temperature, I don’t have that either.
Buy the Best MSI Product With in Affordable Prices Now:
How to solve MSI afterburner can’t change fan speed/greyed out
Apply these solution as one of them will surely solve your fan settings locked problem.
- If MSI Afterburner Greyed Out
- NVIDIA 20x series GPU
- Uninstall GPU drivers manually and Reinstall
- Reinstall MSI Afterburner
- Download an alternate tool to change the fan speed
Solution 1 – If MSI Afterburner Greyed Out
You have to enable custom fan settings from the settings menu. To do that;
- Click settings.
- Click the Fan tab.
- Check the box “Enable user-defined software automatic fan control.”
- Set the fan curve however you like. The custom fan curve isn’t too bad.
- Click Ok and restart it.
- It will unlock the fan speed slider, make sure that the ‘Auto‘ option is disabled
Now you should see the Fan Speed section highlighted in green if you’re using the classic skin. That means user fan control is on. You can turn it on and off by clicking the “User Define” button on the right side of the Fan Speed box.
Read Also: Fixed: SpeedFan Not Working on Windows 10
Solution 2 – NVIDIA 20x series GPU
If you have NVIDIA 20 series GPU then your fan settings will still be missing. The old MSI afterburner’s fan option won’t work on the NVIDIA 20x series GPU. For that, you need to download the MSI Afterburner Beta Version from their official site.
This will enable you to have access to fan control and create a fan curve. All other aspects remain the same.
Solution 3 – Uninstall GPU drivers manually and Reinstall
For clean uninstall and reinstall you need to open device manager Windows 10 built-in utility. to do that;
- Press Windows logo key + R and type devmgmt.msc. Now hit enter.
- Double-click on Display Adapters to expand it.
- Right-click on your GPU name and select Uninstall device.
- Visit your GPU manufacturer’s site, then download and install the latest driver available.
Sometimes your GPU drivers can interfere with your settings, especially when you switch from one manufacturer to another. Doing a clean install of the latest drivers for your new card will often fix most of your problems.
Solution 4 – Reinstall MSI Afterburner
Sometimes updates or changes to your system, or corrupted files can cause your software to break. Reinstalling MSI Afterburner can fix many issues, so git it a try.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings
- Click on Apps, here you will see a list of all installed software
- Click on MSI Afterburner to Uninstall it.
- Download the setup from their official site and reinstall the software.
Solution 5 – Download an alternate tool to change the fan speed
If the above-mentioned solutions don’t fix MSI Afterburner can’t change fan speed on the laptop of PC. Then you need to download an alternate tool. There are plenty of free best fan speed controller software for Windows 10 and 7 to manually change CPU and GPU fan speed.
- Corsair Link 4
- Argus Monitor
- EasyTune 5
- EVGA Precision X1
This is how we fixed MSI Afterburner can’t change fan speed/greyed out problem on Windows 10 PC.