If you’ve ever tried to tweak your graphics card settings and found that MSI Afterburner can’t change fan speed, locked or greyed out, you’re not alone.
Many users encounter issues where the fan speed control feature is grayed out, locked, or simply doesn’t respond. Fear not, as we’re here to help you navigate through these problems and get your MSI Afterburner back in action.
In this guide, we’ll break down simple and easy-to-understand steps to troubleshoot and resolve issues like fan speed control being inaccessible.
Whether you’re a seasoned user or just getting started, we’ve got you covered with practical solutions to unleash the full potential of your GPU.
Let’s dive into and explore solutions to fix MSI Afterburner can’t change fan speeds and get your PC fans under your control!
Why can’t I change anything on MSI Afterburner?
We have conducted deep research on popular forum threads i.e. Reddit and MSI. The following are the main reasons that prevent users from changing fan speed;
- Software Settings: The fan speed control feature may be disabled in the MSI Afterburner settings, preventing users from changing or accessing the fan speeds.
- GPU Compatibility: Some GPUs may not support fan speed control through third-party software like MSI Afterburner. It’s essential to ensure that your graphics card model allows for fan speed adjustments using external tools.
- Overstressed GPU: The fan speed control can be grayed out when the GPU is not actively in use. Running a graphics-intensive task or a game can trigger the availability of the fan speed control feature.
- Running Graphics-Intensive Processes: Certain features in MSI Afterburner may become unavailable when the GPU is already under stress from other graphics-intensive processes. Closing these applications might be necessary to regain control over fan speed settings.
- MSI Afterburner Version Compatibility: Using an incompatible version of MSI Afterburner for your GPU model may result in the fan speed control feature being inaccessible. Checking for updates or downgrading to a known compatible version can resolve this issue.
- Graphics Driver Issues: Outdated or buggy graphics drivers can interfere with MSI Afterburner’s functionality, leading to problems like locked fan speeds. Updating or, in some cases, downgrading graphics drivers might be necessary to restore proper operation.
- System Updates: After system updates, especially GPU driver updates, compatibility issues may arise with MSI Afterburner. Reinstalling the software or checking for a compatible version can help resolve these conflicts.
- Third-Party Software Interference: Other third-party applications, especially those related to GPU monitoring, might conflict with MSI Afterburner and restrict fan speed control. Identifying and resolving conflicts with such software is crucial.
- Manual Configuration in CFG File: In some cases, the fan speed control issue can be tackled by manually editing the MSI Afterburner configuration (CFG) file. This involves adjusting fan speed values directly in the file.
- Corrupted Installation: A corrupted installation of MSI Afterburner may result in erratic behavior, including locked fan speeds.
How To Turn on MSI Afterburner Fan Speed Control Settings?
Most users start changing the fan speed after installing this tool without even knowing how to unlock the fan speed in MSI Afterburner. They will see greyed-out fan settings, follow these steps to unlock fan speed. To do that;
- Open MSI Afterburner
- Click Settings
- Click the Fan tab.
- Check the box “Enable user-defined software automatic fan control.”
- Set the fan curve however you like. The “Custom” fan curve isn’t too bad.
- Click “OK” and restart it.
- It will unlock the fan speed slider, make sure that the ‘Auto‘ option is disabled
Now you should see the fan speed section highlighted in green if you’re using the classic skin. That means the user fan control is on. You can turn it on and off by clicking the “User Define” button on the right side of the Fan Speed box.
How to Fix MSI Afterburner Can’t Change Fan Speed or Greyed Out?
In case you have applied the above steps and still have the MSI Afterburner fan speed locked then read on.
1. Restart MSI Afterburner
If you encounter issues with fan speed control, start by restarting MSI Afterburner to rule out temporary software glitches. This simple step might refresh the application and resolve any minor issues affecting fan speed control.
2. Ensure MSI Afterburner is Up-to-Date
Keeping MSI Afterburner updated is crucial. Ensure you are using the latest version of the software, as updates often include bug fixes and improvements. Visit the official MSI Afterburner website to download and install the latest version.
3. Revert to Default View
If you use customized skins or themes in MSI Afterburner, reverting to the default view might resolve certain display or functionality issues. Check if the fan speed control becomes accessible after returning to the default interface.
4. Check GPU Manufacturer’s Compatibility
Verify if your GPU manufacturer allows adjustments through third-party software like MSI Afterburner.
Some manufacturers may limit control to their official software, so using the recommended application for your GPU is advisable.
5. Run a GPU-Intensive Process
Start a task that utilizes GPU resources, such as a graphics-intensive game or application. In some instances, MSI Afterburner features, including fan speed control, may be grayed out when the GPU is not actively engaged.
6. Close Graphics-Intensive Processes
If running graphics-intensive processes or games, close them and check if the fan speed control feature becomes available. Overstressing the GPU can lead to limitations in adjusting fan speeds.
7. Update or Downgrade GPU Drivers
Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can affect MSI Afterburner’s functionality. Visit your GPU manufacturer’s official website to download and install the latest graphics drivers.
If issues persist, consider downgrading to a previously stable driver version.
8. Manually Edit CFG File
Manually changing the fan speed settings in the MSI Afterburner CFG file might be a solution:
- Navigate to “C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner.”
- Right-click on the CFG file (e.g., MSIAfterburner) and select Open.
- Adjust the fan speed value in the settings file.
- Save the file by pressing CTRL+S.
- Restart your system, and MSI Afterburner should apply the specified fan speed upon launch.
9. Reinstall MSI Afterburner
If all else fails, reinstall MSI Afterburner:
- Open the Control Panel and go to Programs and Features.
- Find MSI Afterburner in the list, right-click, and select Uninstall.
- Navigate to the installation location and delete any remaining files.
- Download the latest version of MSI Afterburner from the official website and reinstall the software.
10. Enabling Fan Control for NVIDIA 20x Series GPU
If you’re using an NVIDIA 20 series GPU, you may encounter the issue of the fan speed settings being greyed out in the traditional MSI Afterburner version.
To address this, it’s recommended to download the MSI Afterburner Beta Version directly from the official website.
This version is tailored to offer compatibility with the NVIDIA 20x series GPUs, ensuring you can access fan control and create custom fan curves.
Keep in mind that all other functionalities and features of MSI Afterburner remain consistent with the beta version.
11. Download an Alternate Tool to Change the Fan Speed
Another option that users have is to download it’s alternate fan speed control software. There are plenty of free best fan speed controller programs for Windows 11, 10, and 7 to manually change CPU and GPU fan speed.
How to Fix MSI Afterburner No Fan Tab Problem
No fan tab issue in MSI afterburner arises when you are using the standard version. Download Afterburner’s Beta version and you are good to go.
If you still can’t see the fan tab there is a chance that you are using this software on a laptop on devices having mobile GPU.
FAQ – MSI Afterburner Fan Speed Not Working
Why Can’t I Change My Fan Speed in MSI Afterburner?
You can’t change the fan speed because it’s disabled. You need to Enable fan speed using the settings menu. In settings, click on the Fan tab. Check the box “Enable user-defined software automatic fan control“. Set the fan curve and then click OK. It will highlight the fan speed section. Now use the User Define button to turn on/off fan speed.
Why MSI Afterburner Locked Fan Speed on Laptop?
Most laptop manufacturer has locked the fan speed settings. So there is no way to unlock it. The reason is simple laptops are compact so they tend to overheat a lot. But on the high-end graphics laptop, there’s a manual button to set the fan speed to normal, medium, or high. Alternatively, you should download SpeedFan for your Laptop.
Solve MSI Afterburner Fan Curve not Working
If the custom fan curve not working and you can’t change the fan speed as per your instructions. Then uninstall another fan control software that you might have. Also, don’t set the fan speed to Auto instead select User Defined.
What is Fan Sync MSI Afterburner?
Fan Synchronize allows you to switch between synchronous and asynchronous fan control modes. When fan sync in MSI Afterburner is enabled the fan speed automatically resonates with the internal heat. When Fan Sync is disabled you can select and adjust each fan speed independently by making a custom fan curve.
How to Fix MSI Afterburner Power Limit Greyed Out?
Sometimes MSI afterburner greys out the values for voltage, Temp, Core clock, memory clock, etc. You can fix the power limit problem if you change the theme or run the applications or game then you can see the power limit and other values. Download the latest beta version of Afterburner or update the graphics card driver.
How to Increase GPU Fan Speed Using the MSI Afterburner?
To increase GPU fan speed you need to set up a custom fan curve. Open Afterburner, and use the fan speed slider. Click on the little gear icon and select User Define. It will open a graph with fan speed % and temperature. Dial the curve into just how you want it to behave under different temps.