Oculus Quest lets you play solo and multiplayer VR games. Quest 2 has built-in Microphones that help you enjoy party chats while playing games on PC.
You can start an in-game chat with your friends. You can connect with friends from Discord or VRChat or simply play games on Steams.
However many users are encountering an Oculus Quest 2 mic not working issue on Windows 11/10. For most players, the mic not working issues arise while talking over Discord or steam during party chat.
If you are also dealing with an Oculus Quest 2 mic not working issue in Steam VR, discord, or VRChat then we have the solution to fix this problem.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Run Oculus Quest 2 Microphone Test
If you have recently purchased Oculus Quest 2 then run a test to see if the Quest 2 microphones are working. Follow these steps to open Oculus Quest 2 microphone settings
- Connect Oculus Quest 2 to your PC.
- Select Start > Settings > System > Sound
- From here, go to Input > Test your microphone
You will see a blue bar going up and down while wearing Quest 2. Try to speak if the bar is moving it means your mic is detected and working properly.
How To Fix Oculus Quest 2 Mic Not Working
If you are having trouble with the mic not working then apply the below fixes to solve this issue.
Fix 1. Restart Oculus Quest 2
Start with the simplest thing which is to reboot the hardware that is causing issues. For that:
- Press and hold down the Power button on Quest 2 until the shutdown screen appears
- Select Restart
- Once your headset has rebooted, you can try the microphone again to see if it working.
Fix 2. Unplug and replug your headset
Another simplest trick that helped many users is to unplug and then replug the headset. To apply this fix you need to run a Windows voice recorder and then follow these steps:
- Plug the headset into your PC and enable Oculus Link.
- In Windows search box type Voice and click to open Voice Recorder.
- Check whether the Oculus Quest 2 is picked up in Voice Recorder.
- If YES then start SteamVR or your game and the mic should work as intended.
If the Oculus Quest 2 mic not working issue persists then keep the Voice Recorder running.
Unplug the cable from your headset, Replug it back in, enable Oculus Link on Quest 2, and start your game.
Fix 3. Reinstall Oculus App
If non of the above fix works for you then the main Oculus app might be the culprit. Try to reinstall the Quest 2 application from their official site.
Make sure you are running the latest updated Quest 2 software.
Fix 4. Update Audio Drivers
Make sure that your PC’s audio drivers are fully up to date. In case you are running old drivers, you will see Mic, not working issues while using the Oculus Quest.
Apart from the audio driver, you should also check that the USB and graphics drivers are updated. To update graphics card drivers you can follow either Manual or Automatic methods.
We prefer you to adopt automatic methods as it takes less time and users’ PC skills. You only need to download Driver Easy, the No.1 driver updater tool for Windows PC.
Install and run this tool. It will automatically scan and update all the drivers by installing the latest compatible version from the manufacturer’s site.
Fix 5. Allow Access To Your Microphone
First, make sure that you haven’t accidentally muted PC or Quest 2. After that check whether Windows has granted permission to the app to access its microphone.
Here are the steps to follow:
- Press the Windows start button, and type Microphone Privacy Settings to open it.
- Click Change, and allow Microphone access for this device.
- Scroll down to Allow apps to access your microphone and toggle the button on
- Further down is Allow desktop apps to access your microphone. Make sure this is also turned on.
Fix 6. Adjust Sound Settings
Due to wrong sound settings, you may be dealing with the Oculus Quest 2 mic not working problem.
You need to check the audio input and output for your Oculus Quest. Follow these steps:
- Open the Oculus app on your computer.
- Click Devices in the left-hand menu, then select Quest and Touch.
- Below Audio Output in VR, make sure that your Quest is selected.
After that, you need to check the audio input and output for your PC. Follow these steps:
- Right-click the speaker icon appearing in the taskbar and Open Sound settings.
- Under the Input section, choose Headset Microphone (Oculus Virtual Audio Device) from the menu.
- Now locate and click on Sound Control Panel.
- Click on the Recording tab to select the Oculus Quest 2 headset microphone and click Set Default.
- Click your mic again and click Properties.
- Go to the Levels tab and set the mic volume to the max.
- Now click on the Advanced tab and untick Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Fix 7. Using Third-Party VR Software
If you have installed third-party VR software on your PC then you need to make sure that Oculus Virtual Audio Device is also set as your audio input and output source.
You Might Like:
- Fixed: Logitech C920 Webcam not Working on Windows 10
- Fixed: Roblox FPS Unlocker Not Working issue 
- Fixed: MSI Afterburner OC Scanner Not Working
- Fixed: Razer Cortex Not Opening or Working Properly 
- Fix: Razer Synapse Not Opening/Failed To Start on Windows 10
- Fixed: Logitech G Hub Not Loading Stuck on Screen 
- Fixed: NZXT Cam Not Opening/ Detecting or Showing Anything