Keep getting Overwatch black screen on launch well you are not alone!
Many users are complaining that a black screen pops up on launch or mid-game while playing overwatch.
The black screen error occurs due to many reasons but the most common issue revolves around outdated drivers, incompatible Overlays, low system requirements, third-party apps, or misconfigured graphics card settings.
You must also not overlook the chances of PC overheating, if your system is overheating then first you should check your PC’s temperature using the CPU temperature monitoring apps and start lowering computer temperature.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
How To Fix Overwatch Black Screen On Launch Problem
Very often when you run overwatch you see the Blizzard logo and then a black screen appears. You can hear the sound running in the background but you can’t play the game.
Apply the below-mentioned fixes to get out of this situation instantly.
Fix 1. Check OverWatch System Requirments
If you are experiencing Overwatch black screen on launch then make sure your computer meets the Overwatch system requirements.
If your computer is low on these requirements then you won’t be able to launch this game properly.
Fix 2. Update Graphics Drivers and Windows OS
Most users fixed the overwatch black screen issue by updating their graphics drivers and Windows operating system.
The easiest way to update drivers is to download the driver updater tool. These tools will automatically scan and find the official latest version of the driver and install them on your PC.
For that, we recommend our users download Driver Easy or IObit Driver Booster on PC to efficiently update drivers.
Fix 3. Uninstall Conflicting Apps Having Overlay Feature
Some programs that have overlay features can cause the Blizzard games to crash on launch. If you are running MSI Afterburner FPS overlay or NZXT Cam overlay feature then uninstall it.
You should also uninstall razer synapse from your computer. Other programs that cause overwatch launch problems include:
- EVGA Precision
Fix 4. Lower In-Game Graphics Settings
If your PC is low on system requirements then you should try running Overwatch with lower in-game settings.
- Enter Overwatch main menu.
- Use the dropdown or slider and set the graphics quality to Low.
- Select Options.
- Lower the Details and Resolution.
- While tweaking settings check if you notice an improvement in-game performance.
- Disable the ones that reduced performance.
Now check if it has fixed the black screen in Overwatch while playing.
Fix 5. Change GeForce Experience Settings
- Open the GeForce Experience app.
- Select and click on Games.
- From the left pane, choose Overwatch.
- From the right side, select the Custom Setting icon.
- From Display Mode, choose Borderless Window.
- Click on Apply.
After changing these settings check if Overwatch black screen on launch still appears.
Fix 6. Repair the Missing Overwatch Files
Overwatch black screen problem occurs when the game files are damaged or missing. You need to check the integrity of game files to repair them.
- Run Blizzard Battle.net App.
- Click Overwatch > Options > Scan and Repair.
- A new window will pop up here click Begin Scan.
Now, wait till the scan completes now run the overwatch game.
Fix 7. Delete the Game Cache
Follow these instructions to clear the overwatch cache folder.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift+ Esc keys to open Task Manager.
- Click on the Process tabs.
- Locate all the process related to Blizzard and right click on it to End Task them (Blizzard battle.net App, agent.exe and Blizzard Update Agent).
- Now press Windows + R and type %ProgramData% to open ProgramData.
- Find the Blizzard Entertainment folder and Battle.net folder to Delete it.
Fix 8. Turn off Game DVR
Disabling Game DVR lets you fix Overwatch black screen on launch error. It’s a built-in Windows 10 utility that record, broadcast, and take screenshots while playing the game.
- Press Windows + I to open Windows 10 Settings.
- Click on Gaming and Choose Game Bar, Game DVR, and True Play one by one and disable these options.
Now Run the game and check if it’s black screen appearing while running Overwatch.
Fix 9. Install The latest Overwatch Patch
Blizzard regularly releases the patch to fix bugs that may pop up while playing the game. If the game is not running properly then try to install the latest patch.
To check if there’s any patch is available run the Blizzard Battle.net App and click on Overwatch > Options > Patch Notes.
Now relaunch the game.
Fix 10. Run Overwatch as Administrator
Another most common fix that resolves most of the issues is to run the app as an administrator. Under normal user mode, Windows OS won’t allow games to access certain files to execute the process.
- To run Overwatch as administrator right-click on Overwatch icon appearing on your desktop and select Properties.
- Now click on the Compatibility tab and tik the box Run this program as an administrator. Then, click OK.