Razer Cortex not Opening and Razer Cortex not Working problem is increasing.
Lately, many users are reporting that Razer Cortex is not working as it should be. It won’t launch, failed at the start, or the account is locked. In some cases it won’t show the FPS counter overlay, it won’t add a game, or let you record/stream the game.
In this article, we have accumulated the solutions to all problems that Razer Cortex users will ever face. The solution explained here are simple.
Table of Contents
- How To Fix Razer Cortex Not Opening
- Razer Cortex Not Launching
- How To Fix Razer Cortex Failed to Start Error
- How To Fix Razer Cortex Account Locked Error
- How To Fix Razer Cortex FPS Not Showing
- How To Fix Razer Cortex Failed to Add Game Error
- How to Fix Razer Cortex Not Recording Game
- How To Fix Razer Synapse Not Opening
- How To Turn Off Razer Cortex Overlay
- Error: Razer Cortex Scanning Frever
- How to Uninstall Razer Cortex
How To Fix Razer Cortex Not Opening
Many users complain that they have installed the Razer game booster and it’s not opening even after 30 minutes, the app’s interface won’t show up. Try these fixes:
Fix 1. Uninstall the Program Completely
Most of the time simply reinstallation fixes the problem. In some cases, users see Razer Central Service running in the task manager but the program still won’t open. It’s because installation might have failed and the app is broken.
Interested! Check out the Best Fastest Gaming Keyboards with RGB Lighting
Uninstall the Razer Cortex from your PC:
- Press Windows + I to open settings.
- Click on Apps, here you will a list of installed programs.
- Find Razer Cortex and Uninstall it.
- Download Registry Cleaner tool and clean your PC registry.
- Now Download latest version of Razer Cortex from their site.
Now open the program to see if not opening or running problem is resolved.
Fix 2. Uninstall 3rd Party Apps and Run in Compatibility Mode
Are you running multiple game booster software on your PC? If yes remove all of them also make sure that antivirus software is also disabled or removed.
The Razer Cortex not opening issue arises because 3rd party apps create errors in system settings while antivirus software sometimes doesn’t give permission to run certain apps due to security reasons.
Once you remove these apps try to run Razer Cortex in compatibility mode. To do that:
- Right-click on the App and click on Properties.
- In the following windows choose Compatibility Tab.
- Check the box “Run this program in the compatibility mode for“
- Select Windows version, Apply, and OK.
Now again check if the Razer Cortex not opening problem is fixed.
Fix 3. Run the Program .EXE file from Folder
If you have uninstalled and installed the app, run as admin, or in compatibility mode and still it won’t open. Then try to run Razer Central.exe as Admin.
Locate the folder where you have download the Razer Cortex usually it is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Razer\Razer Services\Razer Central.
It will fix Razer Cortex not opening problem.
Razer Cortex Not Launching
If the game booster won’t launch then you need to close all the running tasks. Then launch the program, it will take some time, so wait a bit until it runs.
Follow these steps:
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl +Alt + Delete.
- Select Services Tab and locate FPSRunner (32 & 64-bit) + Game manager Service (32 & 64-bit) + PMRunner + Razer Central + Razer Central Service.
- Right click on these services and End Task.
How To Fix Razer Cortex Failed to Start Error
Many users consistently reported that when they open Razer Cortex they receive this error message “Cortex star failed, please try again.”
This error appears when the installation of Razer Cortex is not complete. So try to reinstall the software afresh after completely uninstalling it from your PC.
Fix 1. Disable & Enable All Razer Services
If you keep getting failed to start error then try this:
- Open Task Manager and click on startup tab and enable Razer Cortex startup.
- Then press Windows logo key + R and type MSConfig.
- Click on the Service tab and disable all the services related to Razer Cortex.
- Press on Apply, and OK
- Now again Re-enable these services in msconfig. Apply and OK.
- Restart you computer.
How To Fix Razer Cortex Account Locked Error
If you have made too many log-in attempts to enter a razer account with the wrong credentials then you may get your Razer account locked temporarily.
The Razer Synapse locked problem only freezes the account for 5-10 minutes. After that time, you will be able to retry the login.
If you have recently created an account and verified with the email, still account is locked then first try to reinstall Cortex.
In case, the problem doesn’t go away, then try to log in to Cortex using a dummy account and check how this goes.
You can also contact Razer ID Support if your problem doesn’t solve.
How To Fix Razer Cortex FPS Not Showing
Does the Razer Cortex FPS counter not showing while playing games. Or its FPS overlay readings are not accurate.
First, keep in mind that the Razer Cortex FPS counter is only in regards to how fast your screen is refreshing. It has nothing to do with the application/game. So you may see 120fps even though you are limited to 60FPS.
Fix 1. Run in Borderless Mode
If Razer FPS overlay won’t show up it’s because you are running games in Window mode or FullScreen. In this mode, the FPS counter and Gamecaster won’t display.
All you need to do is to run games in borderless mode. Here’s how to Do it:
Steam users follow these steps:
- In Steam, go to your Library
- Right Click on the game title.
- Select Properties
- Click Set Launch Options…
- Paste these line into the provided text box -popupwindow
- Click OK, then Close.
PC users follow these commands:
- Open a command line window
- Navigate to the folder containing tld.exe
- Type “tld.exe -popupwindow“
Fix 2. Change Razer and Game Settings
A lot of players forget to enable the built-in razer feature to show FPS and saves it. First, make sure that you have enabled FPS overlay options for any specific game.
Then comes the game’s settings. There are many games that have their feature that enables the Razer to display FPS. Turn on that option.
Fix 3. Use Alternate FPS Counter
You can always switch to the Razer alternate software that also has the ability to show FPS overlay. You download MSI Afterburner and use its FPS counter. (Read: How to Enable FPS Counter in MSI Afterburner).
If Afterburner doesn’t work properly to show you FPS you can consult this guide as well [Solved: MSI Afterburner Can’t Change Fan Speed]
How To Fix Razer Cortex Failed to Add Game Error
Users can optimize game performance while playing on Windows PC. However many users are complaining that they can’t add games in Razer Cortex, it’s failed, or the added game won’t show up.
Fix 1. Link the .exe File
The reason why users can’t add a game in the razer is that they add Launcher or Shortcut and not the .exe file.
All you have to do is to open a proper game path and find the game’s .exe file.
How to Add Games to Razer Cortex?
Supposing if you have League of Legends, follow these steps to add games:
- Open Razer Cortex
- Games > My Library > Press on this big + on the left upper corner.
- At the same time Browse for a game press on the grey folder icon and copy [YOUR HARDDRIVE]\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\solutions\lol_game_client_sln\releases\0.0.1.167\deploy\ in the explorer window.
- Double click the “League of Legends.exe“
- Press on “Add” in Razer Cortex and you are done.
Fix 2. Uninstall Antivirus Software
Simply use the control panel to uninstall these tools and then run this game. You can also add this service to the exception list.
How to Fix Razer Cortex Not Recording Game
You can record and stream gameplay using Razer Cortex but you may face an issue where this tool won’t record gameplay. The problem lies in Razer Cortex Settings and Game Settings.
Fix 1. Change Razer Cortex Settings
The first thing that many users forget is to make sure that they have tweaked the Razer recording setting fit for the game.
How to record with Razer Cortex?
- Open Razer Cortex
- Click on GameCaster Tab.
- Check box Show GameCaster overlay while in-games.
- Now Select any key to that start recording i.e. Alt + V.
- Now Run the game and you will see a logo appearing above.
- Click on to Record Video or Capture Image icon.
How To Fix Razer Synapse Not Opening
Razer Synapse’s latest version helps you control and customize the Razer mouse and keyboard. However, many users complain that Synapse won’t open or start. This problem can easily be fixed:
- Open Task Manager and close all Razer Synapse Processes.
- Uninstall the Synapse utility from your PC using the Control Panel.
- Reinstall Razer device drivers using the Device Manager.
- Now install Razer Synapse’s latest version and run the app.
How To Turn Off Razer Cortex Overlay
If you want to disable Razer Cortex overlay, follow these steps:
- Click on the System Tray to show hidden icons.
- Click the Razer icon.
- Click Launch Cortex.
- Click on the Gamecaster tab.
- Toggle “Enable Gamecaster” to Off.
- Close the Razer Cortex window.
Error: Razer Cortex Scanning Frever
You may have encountered this issue where Razer Cortex scanning stuck at 21%, 18% is it keep scanning and nothing happened.
When you open Razer Cortex system cleaner to do a system clean, the scan stops at exactly 20% on the file HTML help. This is a major problem while scanning games.
To fix the scanning problem you need to contact support and send them a ticket. They will look into the matter will resolve the issue.
How to Uninstall Razer Cortex
The process is very simple, open Control Panel and click on Programs and Features. A list will appear locate the program and right-click on it to uninstall.
Alternatively, there are many third-party uninstallers you can download any one of them to uninstall programs from Windows 10 PC.