So Skyrim keeps crashing on startup whenever you try to launch it.…
If you are running Skyrim with mods or updated the Skyrim’s anniversary edition then you are likely to deal with sudden crashing.
The cause that led towards Skyrim keeps crashing issues are:
- You are running a game with multiple mods
- There’s a memory restriction
- Corrupt DLC files that are causing Skyrim to crash
- Corrupt game files
- Skyrim using the wrong GPU
If you can’t find the solution to fix Skyrim keeps crashing problem then apply the fixes mentioned below.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVER
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Table of Contents
How To Fix Skyrim Keeps Crashing on Startup
- Fix 1. Disable/Uninstall Mods
- Fix 2. Install The Latest Patch
- Fix 3. Allow Skyrim Special Edition to Utilize More Memory
- Fix 4. Reshape the Mods Load Order
- Fix 5. Delete Autosave Files & Use Manual Save
- Fix 6. Repair Corrupt Game Files
- Fix 7. Lower the Graphics Settings
- Fix 8. Turn OFF ffdshow Audio Decoder
- Fix 9. Change the Sound Quality to 24-Bit
- Fix 10. Skyrim’s Using The Wrong GPU
How To Fix Skyrim Keeps Crashing on Startup
Fix 1. Disable/Uninstall Mods
Skyrim players download mods that alter the game file or reimplement the files but in return give more graphical features.
If you are running multiple mods then they will bug the main game file resulting in Skyrim keeps crashing error. To fix this issue you need to disable all the mods and then run the game.
Fix 2. Install The Latest Patch
If you are running moded Skyrim edition then you need to check if it is the updated version. Developers regularly release the latest patch to fix any bug-related issue.
Once in a while visit the official site and check for Skyrim Special Edition latest patch. If it is there, then download and install it on your PC.
Fix 3. Allow Skyrim Special Edition to Utilize More Memory
The original Skyrim edition can’t utilize more than 4GB of RAM. Due to the memory limit sometimes the game crashes but you can fix it by downloading the Skyrim Special edition.
Alternatively, users can access the SKSE.ini file which is a Skyrim Script Extender’s .ini file to improve Skyrim’s memory allocation to prevent certain crashes from occurring.
Fix 4. Reshape the Mods Load Order
In case you are running moded Skyrim and you don’t want to disable mod then you need to organize their load order.
The Skyrim.esm file should always come first, followed by Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, HearthFires.esm, and finally Dragonborn.esm.
If the load order is messed up then you will face sudden Skyrim crashing issues.
Fix 5. Delete Autosave Files & Use Manual Save
The Skyrim’s autosave and quicksaves are highly unstable. Each time you autosaves game programs the save files get corrupted. To fix Skyrim keeps crashing on startup you need to delete all the auto-saved files.
To fix the crashing issue you should always save the game manually. Here’s how to do that:
- While running the game press the ESC button.
- From the menu list, click on the Save button to save the progress
- After that minimize or close the game and go to the game directory
- Delete the Save folder.
Once done, you are good to play and Skyrim Keeps Crashing will not happen
Fix 6. Repair Corrupt Game Files
Whether you are running Skyrim with or without mods there are still chances that game files get corrupted. If you are playing Skyrim on Steam then try to check the integrity of the game file.
During this process, steam will scan the possibility of corrupted files and will repair them.
Fix 7. Lower the Graphics Settings
If you are dealing with Skyrim keeps crashing issues on PC then it’s because you are playing it with high graphics settings. Some PC can’t handle the high texture and graphics details like the shadow.
To fix the crashing problem try to lower the graphics settings, here’s how to do it:
- Run the game and from the main menu.
- Go to Options > Advanced Options.
- Click on Details Tab and below you will see Shadow settings.
- Set the details to Low and then saves the changes.
Now try to run the game to get rid of Skyrim Keeps Crashing no mods.
Fix 8. Turn OFF ffdshow Audio Decoder
Users on the forum confirmed that Skyrim crashing on mods issue arise because they have activated the ffdshow audio decoder. Once you disable it you can fix crashing problems.
- From the Windows Start Menu type the ffdshow
- Choose ffdshow audio decoder to open it.
- From the left side of windows make sure that you are on the DirectShow control section
- Tick the box Don’t use ffdshow in, and browse the skyrim.exe which is located at the installation folder.
Now check if the Skyrim crashing issue has been resolved or not.
Fix 9. Change the Sound Quality to 24-Bit
There is a chance that sound quality is the main issue which is why Skyrim is crashing on Startup. Here’s how to fix it:
- From the system tray right-click on the Volume icon and choose Sound.
- With in the Sound settings head to the Playback tab
- Select speakers and whatever device you are using
- Right-click on the device and go to properties
- Go to the Advanced tab, now from the drop-down choose 24bit 44100 Hz.
Fix 10. Skyrim’s Using The Wrong GPU
If you are playing Skyrim on a PC that has multiple GPUs within it. Then there are chances that Skyrim might choose the wrong GPU.
To fix this issue you can head towards the Graphics control panel and force the game to use your PC’s powerful GPU.
Then head over to Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files and find your GPU. If it’s not there then type in your new GPU name.