Skyrim won’t launch after pressing the play button or Skyrim won’t launch with mods on Windows 10!
Apply the below-mentioned fixes to get rid of Skyrim launching issues.
If you have recently updated the game or Windows 10 OS then there are chances that files might not be installed properly. If you are launching Skyrim on Steam then there may also be an issue with the steam clients having mods.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
How To Fix Skyrim Won’t Launch on Windows 10
Here we have explained the 10 fixes you can apply them as one of them will surely fix the Skyrim launching problem.
Fix 1. Resolve Any Mod Conflicts
Most of the time Skyrim won’t launch with mods as they are unstable and interfere with the running game services. This is the reason that when users press the play button they are stuck in a loop.
It is recommended to disable or uninstall the mods from steam. If there’s any conflicting mod and you uninstalled it the launching problem will be fixed instantly.
Fix 2. Run Steam & Skyrim As Administrator
Try running both apps as administrators permanently. First enable Steam to run as administrator, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Steam icon and choose Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab and check the box Run this program as an administrator.
- Click Apply > OK to save the change.
Now set the Skyrim to launch as administrator, here is how to do it:
- Open the Steam client and click on Library.
- Right-click The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition and then select Properties.
- From the next window, choose the Local Files tab. Then, click Browse Local Files….
- Right-click on the game executable icon and choose Properties > Compatibility tab > Run Run this program as an administrator > Apply > Ok.
Fix 3. Verify Integrity of Game Files
Skyrim not launching problem also occurs if there are corrupted or missing game files. You can verify the integrity of game files to fix this issue.
- Log in to Steam and click Library.
- Right-click The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition. Then click Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab and select Verify Integrity of Game Files….
- Wait for a minute to finish the process and once complete click Close.
Fix 4. Update Device Drivers
To update you have to open Device Manager and click on the device to check if it’s updated or not.
The easiest way to update device drivers is to download the driver updater programs. We strongly recommend you to Download Iobit Driver Booster or Download Driver Easy. These programs will automatically scan the outdated devices and update them to their latest version.
Fix 5. Turn-Off background Programs
More apps running in the background means there are more chances of game launching problems.
When you going to play any game make sure that you turn off all the unnecessary applications running in the background.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
- Click on Process tab and right click on all unnecessary process to End Task.
- Next choose Startup and disable those programs that are not required.
It will get you a more reserved memory that will help you play Skyrim smoothly.
Fix 6. Download the latest versions of DirectX and Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable
DirectX and Visual Studio C++ are required to play games if you don’t have these programs or are running an outdated version, then you will face Skyrim won’t launch error.
You need to download the updated DirectX 11 which is the latest version. Furthermore, you also need to check Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable on your system.
- Press Windows + R and type appwiz.cpl to open Control Panel.
- From the list of installed programs locate both the x64 and x86 versions of Visual Studio C++ 2015 Redistributable.
- Uninstall these programs and then visit the official Microsoft site to download the latest version.
Fix 7. Uninstall SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender)
Did you install the Skyrim Script Extender on your Windows 10 PC? It’s an official application for Skyrim that allows you to make changes by adding more capabilities and features.
You may be dealing with Skyrim won’t launch problem on windows 10 due to the SKSE, so uninstall it from your PC.
Fix 8. Enable the High-Performance GPU
If you are dealing with Skyrim Special Edition that won’t launch or black screen problem then try enabling the high performance of GPU.
If you are using an NVidia graphics card, follow these steps;
- Right-click any empty area on your desktop and select NVidia Control Panel from the displayed options.
- Select Manage 3D settings from the left pane, and then click on Power management mode and select Prefer Maximum Performance from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Apply to execute this change.
Fix 9. Reinstall the game
If you have exhausted all the above fixes and you are still stuck with Skyrim won’t launch the problem on Windows 10.
Then try reinstalling the Skyrim on your PC. For that open Control Panel and uninstall it. Once you remove the game open the folder where you have installed it and Delete everything.