If your PS5 controller isn’t working while playing Starfield on your PC, it can be frustrating. It might seem like the issue is related to Xbox exclusivity, but that’s not the case. Microsoft has confirmed that Starfield should support controllers, including the DualSense and DualSense Edge controllers, on PC. Nevertheless, many players are facing this problem.
In this article, we’ll explore some workarounds to help you resolve the PS5 controller not working issue in Starfield on your PC.
Possible Causes of PS5 Controller Not Working in Starfield
The PS5 controller not working issue on your PC can result from various factors, including problems on your end or issues like outdated drivers. To rule out any problems on your end, consider these workarounds:
- Test different USB ports to check for faulty connections.
- Ensure your PS5 controller is not outdated or incompatible with your PC.
- Verify that the USB Type-C connection is functioning correctly.
If these initial steps don’t resolve the problem, we’ll explore more effective workarounds to fix the Starfield PS5 controller not working issue on your PC.
Is PS5 Controller Compatible On Starfield PC?
Do PlayStation controllers work with Starfield, especially since Microsoft is making the game? The good news is, that you can use different types of controllers to play Starfield.
It’s also important to know that Microsoft hasn’t allowed Sony to run the game on the PS5. So, many players are choosing to play Starfield on platforms like Steam. You can use both regular and premium controllers to enjoy the game.
Some examples include Xbox Wireless, Victrix Pro BFG, DualSense Edge, and Xbox Elite controllers.
Unfortunately, some players have had problems with their DualSense and DualSense Edge controllers when playing Starfield, even though they work fine with other PC games.
Fix Starfield PS5 Controller Not Working on PC
Enabling Steam Input
Enabling Steam Input has proven effective for many players, including myself, in resolving the PS5 controller not working issue. Follow these steps:
- Open the Steam launcher.
- Go to your library and right-click on Starfield.
- Select Properties, then click on Controller.
- Toggle the “Use default settings” option.
- Select the Enable Steam Input option from the drop-down menu.
- Launch the game and check if the PS5 controller is working on your PC.
Check Controller Option
Some players might have mistakenly enabled different controller options instead of the PS5 DualSense or the Edge controllers. To ensure you’ve got the right settings:
- Launch the Steam client, where you’ll see a list of games, and select Starfield.
- Access the game’s properties section, which will display multiple options.
- Navigate to the Controllers section, and look for the drop-down menu.
- You’ll find three options; choose the “Enable Steam Input” option.
- Then, go to the Steam menu and select Settings.
- In the External Control Settings, find the controller option.
- Enable the controller, whether it’s PS5, Xbox, or another type.
By following these steps, you can make sure you’ve selected the correct controller settings for your PS5 DualSense or Edge controller while playing Starfield.
Updating Controller Drivers
Outdated PS5 controller drivers can be a reason for this issue. To ensure your controller drivers are up to date, do the following:
- Press the CTRL + X buttons to open the Device Manager.
- Right-click on your PS5 controller, then select the “Update Drivers” option.
- Afterward, restart your PC and launch Starfield to see if the controller issues still exist.
Best Alternative To Update Controller Drivers
If you are a newbie or you don’t have time or skills then there are chances that you might end up installing the wrong drivers.
So we recommend downloading Driver Easy software on your PC. This program is a professional system driver updater that automatically scans a PC’s old driver and updates it instantly.
We have personally used this tool on our Windows 11 PC. The most favorite part is its outstanding scanning feature. You can instantly know which PC part needs to be updated.
The Driver Easy is an N0.1 software updater tool in its field with a mega database of more than 600000 drivers. Users have been using this tool for the last 12 years to fix their PC errors.
So download Driver Easy and let it deal with all the system drivers.
Close Steam Task Via Task Manager
If the above fix doesn’t work for players, the next option is to use the Task Manager:
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc.
- Look for Steam in the list of processes.
- Right-click on Steam and select the “End task” option.
- Then, run the Big Picture Mode and launch the Starfield game again.
This approach might help resolve any lingering issues with the controller not working in Starfield.
Enabling Controller Hotswap In-Game
Sometimes, keyboard controls can interfere with the PS5 controller in the game. To address this issue, make sure the Controller Hotswap setting is enabled:
- Launch Starfield and access the Settings menu.
- Navigate to the Controls section and scroll down to locate the Controller Hotswap setting.
- Turn on the Controller Hotswap option, and remember to save the settings.
This should help prevent interference between keyboard controls and your PS5 controller while playing Starfield.
Contact Bethsheda Support
If you continue to experience PS5 controller issues in Starfield despite trying the previous solutions, we suggest reaching out to Bethesda Support for assistance. Follow these steps:
- Visit Bethesda Support.
- Select Starfield and the in-game support option.
- Explain the issue you are encountering and submit a support ticket.
- Be patient and wait for the Support team to respond with a suitable solution.
Contacting Bethesda Support directly can often lead to more specific and personalized assistance in resolving persistent controller issues.