Is steam not recognizing PS4 controller connected with your Windows PC? Is Steam not detecting PS4 controller?
Users may have to deal with a problem where the steam does not recognize the PS4 controller or the PS4 Dualshock 4 controller wired or wireless not detected in steam?
If you are also stuck in Steam no controller detected the PS4 problem then apply these easy fixes to enable the steam to recognize your controller on PC and mac.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Table of Contents
- Reasons Why Steam Not Detecting PS4 Controller
How To Fix Steam Not Recognizing PS4 Controller on PC
- Fix 1. Restart Steam & Make Sure the controller is working
- Fix 2. Reset PS4 DualShock Controller
- Fix 3. Check for Bluetooth Signal Interference
- Fix 4. Reinstall the Wireless Controller Driver
- Fix 5. Update Windows Operating System
- Fix 6. Update Steam Client
- Fix 7. Disable Steam configuration in Big Picture
Reasons Why Steam Not Detecting PS4 Controller
The reasons may vary as to why the steam client is not detecting your PS4 controller. However, the most common causes are:
- Steam client glitch: Due to improper controller setup a glitch may occur.
- PS4 controller malfunction: Be it a controller connected via USB cable or Bluetooth (Wired or wireless) a fault may arise in such devices.
- Outdated computer drivers: The outdated drivers required for USB ports or Bluetooth dongles if get corrupted can cause problems.
- Windows Bugs: Sometimes the operating system gets corrupted so make sure that it is a fully updated OS.
- Bluetooth signal interference: If you connect a PS4 controller to your PC via Bluetooth and Steam is not detecting it then it is because some other devices using Bluetooth are interfering. Make sure that no other bluetooth device is working around the PS4 controller.
How To Fix Steam Not Recognizing PS4 Controller on PC
Apply one of the below-mentioned fixes until you find the one that does the trick.
Fix 1. Restart Steam & Make Sure the controller is working
Start with this solution as restarting the steam does the trick in most cases. If your PC can connect with the PS4 controller steam can also detect it. It means that there is a minor problem.
Simply close the steam client completely from the system tray as well and restart it again.
Note: Whenever you make any changes in the controller options make sure that you restart the steam.
You also need to check whether the controller is working properly. If the controller is Bluetooth connected make sure that its battery is fully charged. If it is wired then try to change the USB ports and cable. You can also test your PS4 controller on another computer.
Fix 2. Reset PS4 DualShock Controller
Sometimes Steam won’t recognize the PS4 controller but when plugged in it shows the device. In that case, you may try to reset the controller. Here’s how:
- Locate the small reset button on the back of the DualShock 4 located near the L2 button.
- Use a small, unfolded paper clip or something similar to push the button inside the hole.
- Hold the button down for roughly 3-5 seconds and release
- Reconnect the DualShock 4 to the PC via USB connection
Fix 3. Check for Bluetooth Signal Interference
Sometimes other devices using Bluetooth works against your wireless setup. make sure that you turn off all other devices within the range of your PC or DualShock 4 controller.
Turning off other controller software fixes the steam won’t recognize PS4 issue.
- Go into Steam > BPM > Controllers and un-tick every single box.
- Full exit BPM and then Steam Client and Relaunch it.
- Repeat the process but tick just the PS4 controller box.
- If this alone doesn’t do it, try the Generic box as well.
- Exit out BPM and relaunch Steam Client again.
Also, check the DS4 Controller in Windows 10. Type Win key+ R, type joy.cpl, and click OK. Check that Axis, Triggers, Buttons, are all working in it.
Fix 4. Reinstall the Wireless Controller Driver
Another way to fix steam not recognizing PS4 controller on PC is to update Bluetooth device software.
Usually, Windows OS has these Wireless controllers drivers i.e. Bluetooth HID Device, HID-compliant game controller, and the Bluetooth Wireless Controller.
If any of these drivers are not up to date, it may result in Steam not detecting the PS4 controller issue.
The only way to fix this issue is to reinstall drivers using Device Manager.
- Go into Device Manager for that press Windows + R key, type devmgmt.msc, and press Enter.
- Locate the wireless controller drivers and right-click on them to delete them.
- Unplug and replug the PS4 DualShock controller back in.
- Windows will automatically scan the drivers and install them.
Fix 5. Update Windows Operating System
Sometimes due to compatibility issues steam won’t recognize the PS4 controller. You can easily fix this problem by making sure that your Windows OS is fully up-to-date.
- From your keyboard Windows + I > Update & Security > Check For Updates.
- If there’s any pending update it will install it on your PC.
- Once installed Restart your PC.
Fix 6. Update Steam Client
If you are playing games on an outdated steam client version then you may face steam not recognizing the PS4 controller on a PC.
If you have blocked updates and running steam in offline mode then go into online mode and update the application. Here’s how:
- Open Steam and sign in.
- Select Steam at the upper left.
- Select Go online.
- Select Restart and go online.
- Once in online mode check for any updates and install it.
Fix 7. Disable Steam configuration in Big Picture
If you are playing games on steam using big picture mode then disabling it may fix the problem.
- From the system tray, Right-Click the Steam icon and select Big Picture.
- Select Liberary and from the left side click on Installed. Select the Target Game.
- From the new window, select Manage Game Options from the left side. Under the Steam Input section, select Controller Options.
- In the pop-up window, set Steam Input Per-Game Setting to Forced Off.
Now run the game and check if the PS4 controller is detected in Steam.