At first, you may think that Sedlauncher is an application error that is bogging down your free Disk or CPU usage in Windows 10. If you open task manager you will see the “SedSvc.exe” and “SedLauncher.exe” processes running. These files are part of the Windows Remediation Service.
You can also find the Microsoft SedLauncher service in the “Rempel” folder inside Program Files. The real problem only starts when the Sedlauncher starts consuming 100% disk usage or CPU usage resultantly slowing down your PC.
In this article, we have explained what is this process and how you can disable Sedlauncher or remove it permanently if it’s keep coming back.
What is Sedlauncher.exe on my Windows 10 PC?
- Rest assure you are not infected with any virus or malware.
After the KB4023057 update package, Microsoft has included Windows Remediation Service in Windows 10 OS. The Sedlauncher.exe is a part of this update.
This service is designed to improve the update speed and reliability of the Windows Update Service. This service helps you install the latest security patches and additional features so to keep your PC updated.
All Windows 10 build versions i.e. 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, and 1803 have sedsvc.exe and rempl.exe files on them.
The SedLauncher.exe only starts consuming High CPU or Disk usage on Windows 10 when it downloads and installs large feature updates from Microsoft. During this process your PC may get slower but once it finishes you are good to go.
If this process keeps coming back you can temporarily remove or disable Sedlauncher.exe to prevent high disk usage on Windows 10. In both cases, you won’t automatically get the latest updates instead you have to resume Windows remediation service or manually download from Microsoft.
How to fix Sedlauncher.exe High Disk Usage on Windows 10
Here we have explained some of the best methods which users discussed on the various forums to end this task. If you apply these troubleshooting tips your PC will be able to start normally.
For the time being if you only want to disable the launcher temporarily then close all the processes i.e. sedsvc.exe and rempl.exe from the task manager. Its the easiest way to fix the high CPU usage problem
- Open “Task Manager” Press Ctrl + Alt + Dele keys
- Click all the relevant services that are consuming more CPU or Disk and “End Task”
- Start from Windows Remediation Service
Method 2 – Disable Windows Remediation Service
The quickest way to fix the high CPU usage problem caused by Sedluncher.exe is to disable the main component. Follow these steps;
- Press Windows+R keys to open Run then type “services.msc” and click OK
- A new window will appear where you can see all the running services. Locate “Windows remediation Service” by scrolling down the list.
- Double-click on it and then click on the “Stop” button.
- Now you will be seeing “Startup type” in general Tab click on it and from the drop-down list select “Disable”
- Click “Apply” and then OK
Method 3 – Delete REMPL task schedule
The second method that can help you remove sedsvc.exe and fixes high disk usage is to delete the Rempel folder. Follow these steps;
- Press Windows+R to open Run then type “taskschd.msc” and click OK. It will open Task scheduler which is a built-in Windows utility.
- From the left-hand side navigate to Microsoft>Windows>rempl folder.
- Now click on the “rempl” folder.
- Select the “Shell” task on the right, then right-click on it, and click “Delete“.
- A dialogue box will pop up click “Yes.”
Method 4 – Block Sedlauncher.exe Using Antivirus Program
No doubt that the KB4023057 update patch plays a crucial role but for some users, it costs high disk usage. If you have already installed this patch then you can disable this process using a Windows defender firewall or third-party antivirus program.
Here’s how to do that;
- Press Windows + R to open run and type “wf.msc” click OK.
- From the left-hand side of the screen select “Outbound Rules” and then click on the “New Rule” from the right-hand side of the screen.
- Make sure that a rule for “Program” is selected, and click Next.
- Now click on the “Browse” button to navigate C:\Program Files\rempl. Here find the sedsvc.exe file and double-click it.
- Click Next.
- Make sure that Block the connection box is selected, and click Next.
- Tick these boxes i.e. Domain, Private and Public networks, and click Next.
- Enter a name for your new rule, and click Finish.
You can also apply the above-mentioned troubleshooting tips if you are dealing with these process that literally eats up your disk
sedsvc.exe, osrrb.exe, remsh.exe, WaaSMedic.exe, sedlauncher.exe, rempl.exe,disktoast.exe
These are the common process that is created by the “Windows Remediation Service.” You can easily locate these .exe files in C:\Program Files\rempl\folder