If you are a Minecraft user you might want to install Optifine to improve the Minecraft performance and graphics. Sometimes users face an issue with the Optifine installer not working.
Once users install Optifine on their PC they can’t open or find it on the Minecraft Launcher. This Optifine can’t open problem occur due to the following reasons:
- Incorrect downloaded OptiFine file.
- You haven’t Unzipped the OptiFine file
- Wrong OptiFine installation process
- A special file opening method is required.
- Hijacked .jar association.
To resolve this issue you can follow the following efficient methods.
How to Fix Optifine Installer Can’t Open Problem?
Follow the below-mentioned fixes to solve your issue.
Fix 1. Download Correct OptiFine
Download the OptiFine file from OptiFine.net as this is a safer and more reliable source than the files downloaded from other sites. In addition, the OptiFine file should be a .jar file. If your downloaded file is a .rar file, you must unzip it first.
Fix 2. Perform Correct OptiFine Installation Process
- Install Java and the latest version of Minecraft
- Launch the Minecraft version you want to install Optifine for on Minecraft Launcher at least once.
- Close the Minecraft Launcher before installing OptiFine.
- Double-click the OptiFine .jar file to open the OptiFine Installer. Click Install to start the installation process.
Fix 3. Try Other File Opening Methods
If you are still failing to open OptiFine Installer try using other methods to open the OptiFine Installer file, for example:
- Right-click the OptiFine file.
- Choose Open with and select Java (TM) Platform SE binary.
You can also use the command to run the Optifine installer file.
- Press the Windows key + R and type cmd in that box.
- Now type cd + file path to open the folder where the OptiFine is stored
- To run the .jar file now type java -jar [name of Optifine file, replacing any spaces with underscores].jar
Fix 4. Fix Hijacked .jar Association
Usually, .jar files are assigned to javaw.exe, which is the appropriate program to execute a .jar file. However, many zip/unzip programs steal the .jar file type, because a jar is stored in the .zip format. To solve this problem, you can use the following methods:
- Uninstall Java and then Download the latest Java version and install it.
- Go to Jarfix 3.0.0 and follow the guide to download and use the jarfix.exe program. This program helps you restore the .jar association with javaw.exe.
Fix 5: Unblock Optifine from Antivirus/ Disable Antivirus Software
If your Java is working fine yet you are unable to open Optifine Installer and none of the above methods are fixing the Optifine Installation error then it might be the case that your antivirus software is identifying Optfine as a threat.
Check the antivirus software and if it has blocked Optifine from your device, give it access manually. Otherwise, you can Disable your Antivirus software.
How to Add an OptiFine Installation to the Minecraft Launcher
- Open the Minecraft Launcher, and click Installations at the top.
- Click the + New button. A window will appear where you can create a new Minecraft installation. Name this Optifine, and click the version drop-down box.
- Here click on the OptiFine version. The numbers around the version may differ, but it saves OptiFine and the version of Minecraft you installed OptiFine for on it.
- Now click Save and you are ready to play Minecraft with OptiFine.
Can you use OptiFine with Forge?
Yes, you can use OptiFine with Forge. Well, you will need to download OptiFine just like you are when you are installing OptiFine without Forge.
- First of all, you need to download the OptiFine. For this, Go to the Optifine.net Downloads and locate and download the Optifine version for Minecraft.
- Then Open the Optifine downloaded file with Java or Optifine Installer and complete the installation process.
- Now to download the Forge, Go to the Minecraft Forge Download and download the version of Forge corresponding to your Minecraft version from the list of versions in a left-sided bar.
- An Ad-Wall page will appear. Click on the red skip button that appears in the top right corner.
- Now to Install Forge Open the file with Java and select the Install Client option to proceed with the installation.
- Now to add Optifine to your Minecraft Mods folder, press the Windows Key + R and type in the following: %appdata%/roaming/.minecraft. For macOS press command button+ spacebar and type ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft
- Locate the folder mods or create a new one with the same name. Now run Minecraft with Forge and click on the Mods button in the main menu.
- Then choose Open mods folder.
- Now, paste the downloaded Optifine file into the mods folder.
- Open Minecraft with Forge and check that Optifine has been installed and working by going to Minecraft’s Video Settings. You will see your current OptiFine version in the bottom right corner.