In Baldur’s Gate 3, players are dealing with a bothersome bug known as error 516. It prevents players from saving their progress. This problem arises when attempting to save the game. Imagine playing for hours, achieving progress, and then suddenly being unable to save.
This situation is a reality for many players. The reason for this bug is quite simple: it happens when there isn’t enough space in your save directory. If you can’t create new save files, it’s natural that errors will occur while trying to save the game.
If you’re encountering the BG3 error code 516, also known as Baldur’s Gate 3 save error, when trying to save your game, don’t worry. We’ve gathered verified solutions from the game’s forum that can effectively solve your issue.
What is Error Code 516 in Baldur’s Gate 3?
Error code 516 in Baldur’s Gate 3 pertains to a save failure within the game. If you encounter this error while attempting quick saves, using the in-game menu to save (ESC), or during autosaves, it suggests that there might be an issue with the game’s ability to properly save your progress.
The error code 516 commonly arises when the drive where the save is being attempted lacks the necessary disk space. In the context of autosaves, this error might also be linked to occasional complications with the Steam Cloud feature.
How to Fix BG3 Error Code 516
Encountering Error 516 in BG3 can be caused due to lack of sufficient space to generate new save files. The most effective solution is to fix error code 516 is to free up storage space, enabling the creation of new saves.
Alternatively, you can also resolve the issue by altering the root directory of your saved files. A method that has proven successful for users like Ruzihm on the Steam Community forum. You can find their detailed fix in the associated thread.
Here is how both fixes work:
- Clear Space: Typically for most users the game saves should be on C drive, specifically at the following location:
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Larian Studios\Baldur’s Gate 3
- Change Save Location: If you can’t free up space on your C Drive but have additional drives on your system where there is space, then you can easily move the save Directory. For example, if you wish to move it to:
- D:\Larian Studios\BG3\New Save Location
Alternate Solution To Fix Baldur’s Gate 3 Can’t Save Error
Here are some other solutions for addressing the “Cant Save” error (error code 516) in Baldur’s Gate 3, presented in bullet points:
- Check available space on the drive where save files are stored. Remove unnecessary files if space is limited. Alternatively, consider storing non-essential files online to make room for saved files.
- If encountering the error, exit the game, log out of the gaming platform, wait a few minutes, and then try again.
- Temporarily disable or close any third-party software you might be using with the game before attempting to save.
- Disable cross-save functionality if you’re repeatedly facing the “Cant Save” error. This step has been highlighted by numerous players on social media.
- If none of the above solutions work, navigate to Baldur’s Gate 3 folder within the %appdata% directory and manually delete the files located there.