- When you run software and games on a dusty laptop, it may result in an increase in the fan speed of the CPU.
- You should worry when your laptop overheats and its CPU fan runs create a very loud noise.
- Luckily, you can overcome the superheated laptop by manually increasing fan speed. Or download the best fan speed controller software for laptops on Windows 10.
If you are wondering why your laptop fan is so loud and generating immense heat then this article is very important for you. When you multitask your laptop PC, it’s CPU heated up and via sensors placed on the motherboard informs CPU fans to speed up.
These sensors increase the fan speed on a laptop so that it maintains normal laptop temperature. The real problem starts when the laptop CPU fan won’t work properly or work at slow RRM and you need to increase the fan speed on the laptop having Windows 10.
If you ignored this situation and your overheated laptop runs for too long. You are going to bear some serious consequences. In this article, you will know how to increase the fan speed on laptop windows 10 PC.
These are the best methods to change and control the laptop fan speed on Windows 10. Apply them and control the CPU fan speed on laptops.
How to Increase Fan Speed on Laptop and PC
- Download fan controller software on Laptop
- Change Fan Speed Using BIOS
- Buy External Fan Speed Controller For PC
- Control fan speed Using Control Panel
Methods 1 – Download Laptop Fan Control Software
If you want to change the CPU fan speed on a laptop without diving into BIOS settings then download fan speed controller software. There are plenty of CPU fan controller tools but SpeedFan is the best choice among them.
It very easy to use, didn’t have any malware or unwanted files attached to it. The installation process is very easy. This fan control software gives you total control over CPU fan speed.
SpeedFan is the best third party solution to control the fan speed on Windows 10 PC. While Mac users can download smcFanControl software to monitor their mac fan speed.
This CPU fan controller software gives you accurate readings about your current CPU and GPU temperature plus you can also see your current fan RPM. You can manually control and increase the fan speed on a laptop with these tools.
Note: Speedfan supports a wide variety of computer motherboards and sensor chips but for laptop users, this tool lacks a fan control option. Laptop users can use Argus monitor or MSI Afterburner.
Another disadvantage of this fan speed control for windows 10 is that it only supports built-in CPU and Case fans.
If SpeedFan not detecting fans then you might have additional PC fans in your system. This fan control software doesn’t control them.
If PC fan controller software doesn’t let you control, change, or increase the fan speed on laptop PC then don’t worry you have a plan B.
Method 2 – Change Fan Speed Using BIOS
Even though Speed fan and like software are the best options to increase the fan speed on laptops but sometimes they prove to be useless due to lack of motherboard support.
Now there are many users who ask how to change fan speed in BIOS. The BIOS always have fan control settings no matter which company motherboard you have. You can change fan speed in bios windows 10 in two ways.
- Either, restart your computer and when it boot-up press and hold the “Delete” or “F12” key.
- or, press Windows + I to open Settings > Open Update & security > Select Recovery > Advanced Startup > Click Restart Now > Click Troubleshoot > Select Advanced options > Choose UEFI Firmware settings >Click Restart.
Your PC should boot in BIOS/UEFI settings. Once there, find the system fan control settings in BIOS. It will give you two choices either to regulate Voltage or PWM. Change them according to your taste and see if it has eased your problem.
This is how you adjust fan speed in BIOS on Windows 10 laptop and PC.
Method 3 – Buy External Fan Speed Controller For PC
Most of the software that increases fan speed only support built-in CPU fan and case fans. What if you have installed additional aftermarket PC fans. Buying an external fan controller for the PC will be the best option in this case.
Of course, this method is only applicable on a desktop computer because the laptop doesn’t support fan speed controllers. For laptops, you can buy the best laptop cooling pads.
You can easily find the best PC fan controllers hardware on the internet. These hardware components fit in the computer drive bay and have knobs that allow you to manually control the fan speed on the PC. You can increase the fan speed up to 100% or lower.
You can also see the current PC fan RPM but you can’t monitor CPU temperature or GPU temperature on these devices. For that, you should download a CPU temperature monitor. The reliable and best CPU temp monitors are Core Temp, Rainmeter, or Real Temp.
Method 4 – Change Fan Settings on Windows 10 Using Control Panel
Windows 10 has another method to change the laptop fan speed. All you have to access is your control panel and follow these steps;
- Open “Control Panel” and click on “Hardware and Sound,” and then “Power Options.” A new window will appear.
- Click “Change Plan Settings,” and then “Change Advanced Power Settings.” The “Power Options” dialog box will appear.
- In the “Advanced Settings” tab click on the “Processor Power Management” associated with a plus symbol to open an options submenu.
- Select “System Cooling Policy” from the submenu.
- Click the down arrow under “System Cooling Policy” to reveal a drop-down menu.
- Select “Active” from the drop-down menu to increase the speed of your CPU’s cooling fan.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK.”
Increase CPU Fan Speed – FAQ
There are sensors placed on motherboard when the CPU or GPU generate heat these sensors turn on the computer fan. The only purpose is to maintain ideal PC temperature.
You can use BIOS settings to change the fan speed on a laptop because of most fan control software lack support for laptop fans.
Yes, laptop fans always run during normal use. The idea is to cool down internal hardware and prevent overheating. But when your laptop fan runs loudly it’s nor normal.
To check at what speed your CPU fan is running download SpeedFan or Argus Monitor. These tools will show you the exact RPM of your PC fans.
To decrease your laptop fan speed then you can download HWInfo64. This tool support most laptop fan settings. Use HWiNFO fan control option to manually decrease or increase laptop fan speed.
If you don’t know how to change fan settings using BIOS then download third party fan control software.
The ideal CPU fan speed of a laptop depends on a host of things but if you run it at 70% then it’s good. If you want to know What RPM is normal for laptop fans then 3000 to 4000 RPM is considered to be the best range.
If your computer fan is constantly loud then it may be a problem with your fan bearing or your PC is full of dust. Try to clean your PC intakes that are clogging fresh air.
With these four methods, you can increase fan speed Windows 10 laptops or PC. Now tell us which method to solve your problem.