- You may want to increase fan speed on laptop if you tried to play game or run heavy software on an old Windows 10 PC.
- Resource-intensive apps tend to generate heat that ends up an increase in CPU temperature.
- To counter this issue, you can wither manually adjust fan speed by tweaking a little in the fan settings on windows 10 PC or laptop or deep dive in BIOS and look for a hidden CPU fan control option.
- You can also download third-party software to easily monitor, control, and change CPU fan speed.
Be it a laptop or desktop PC, maintaining normal CPU temperature isn’t an easy task. At the same time preventing your PC from overheating is very crucial. The CPU fan plays a very important task to cool your PC down. The problem only starts when the Laptop PC fan doesn’t work or unable to run at an ideal RPM speed.
For better understanding, we have divided this post into two main parts. First, we will explain how you can adjust, control, or increase the fan speed on Laptop then we will explain how you can increase or turn fan speed on a desktop PC.
How to increase fan speed on laptop having Windows 10 OS
You can apply the methods mentioned below to change the fan speed on a laptop that has Windows 10 OS. If you have a gaming laptop then you should definitely keep a close eye on your fan RPM.
Method 1 – Change fan settings on Windows 10 using the control panel
Windows 10 has a built-in feature to change the laptop fan speed. All you have to access is your control panel and follow these steps;
- Open “Control Panel” and click on “Hardware and Sound,” and then “Power Options.” A new window will appear.
- Click “Change Plan Settings,” and then “Change Advanced Power Settings.” The “Power Options” dialog box will appear.
- In the “Advanced Settings” tab click on the “Processor Power Management” associated with a plus symbol to open an options submenu.
- Select “System Cooling Policy” from the submenu.
- Click the down arrow under “System Cooling Policy” to reveal a drop-down menu.
- Select “Active” from the drop-down menu to increase the speed of your CPU’s cooling fan.
- Click “Apply” and then “OK.”
Methods 2 – Download laptop fan control software
If you want to change the CPU fan speed on a laptop without tweaking any laptop fan control settings then download fan speed controller software. There are plenty of CPU fan controller tools but SpeedFan is the best choice among them.
It very easy to use, didn’t have any malware or unwanted files attached to it. The installation process is very easy. This fan control software gives you total control over CPU fan speed.
SpeedFan is the best third-party solution to control the fan speed on Windows 10 PC. While Mac users can download smcFanControl software to monitor their mac fan speed.
This CPU fan controller software gives you accurate readings about your current CPU and GPU temperature plus you can also see your current fan RPM. You can manually control and increase the fan speed on a laptop with these tools.
Note: Speedfan supports a wide variety of computer motherboards and sensor chips but for laptop users, this tool lacks a fan control option. Laptop users can use Argus monitor or MSI Afterburner.
Another disadvantage of this fan speed control for windows 10 is that it only supports built-in CPU and Case fans.
If SpeedFan not detecting fans then you might have additional PC fans in your system. This fan control software doesn’t control them.
If PC fan controller software doesn’t let you control, change, or increase the fan speed on laptop PC then don’t worry you have a plan B.
How to change fan speed on Windows 10 desktop PC
If you have a gaming PC then managing its fan profile is more important for you. Follow the below-mentioned steps to control fan speed on PC.
Method 1 – Change fan speed using BIOS
Desktop PC users can also use SpeedFan and the like software to change CPU fan speed. In some cases, these fan control software prove to be useless due to lack of motherboard support.
Don’t worry you can change fan speed using BIOS on Windows 10 PC. No matter which manufacturer motherboard you have they always have BIOS fan control settings. First, you have to dive into the BIOS, so there are two ways to do that.
- Either, restart your computer, and when it boot-up press and hold the “Delete” or “F12” key.
- Or, press Windows + I to open Settings > Update & security >Recovery > Advanced Startup >Restart Now > Troubleshoot >Advanced options > UEFI Firmware settings >Click Restart.
- Once you are into Windows 10 BIOS, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to locate “Fan Speed Control” options.
- Go to “Monitor”, “Status” or something similar named menu.
- Here you will see the “Fan Speed Control” section. Look for RPM settings for your computer fan.
- Select the fan to increase its speed, choose the required speed i.e. 400 RPM or 500 RPM, and press “Enter” (Read what’s the ideal CPU fan speed in RPM)
- Repeat the same step no. 4 for all the fans you would like to increase the speed for.
- Press “Esc” repeatedly until you find the “Exit” menu.
- Select the “Save Changes and Reset” option to confirm the fan speed changes; your computer will now automatically restart.
Method 2 – Buy an external fan speed controller for PC
Most of the software that increases fan speed only support built-in CPU fan and case fans. What if you have installed additional aftermarket PC fans. Buying an external fan controller for the PC will be the best option in this case.
Of course, this method is only applicable on a desktop computer because the laptop doesn’t support fan speed controllers. For laptops, buy the best laptop cooling pads.
You can easily find the best PC fan controller device on the internet. These hardware components fit in the computer drive bay and have knobs that allow you to manually control the fan speed on the PC. You can increase the fan speed up to 100% or lower.
You can also see the current PC fan RPM but you can’t monitor CPU temperature or GPU temperature on these devices. For that, you should download the best CPU temperature monitor. The reliable and best CPU temp monitors are Core Temp, Rainmeter, or Real Temp.
This is how you adjust fan speed in BIOS on Windows 10 laptop and PC.
Increase CPU Fan Speed – FAQ
There are sensors placed on motherboard when the CPU or GPU generate heat these sensors turn on the computer fan. The only purpose is to maintain ideal PC temperature.
You can use BIOS settings to change the fan speed on a laptop because of most fan control software lack support for laptop fans.
Yes, laptop fans always run during normal use. The idea is to cool down internal hardware and prevent overheating. But when your laptop fan runs loudly it’s nor normal.
To check at what speed your CPU fan is running download SpeedFan or Argus Monitor. These tools will show you the exact RPM of your PC fans.
To decrease your laptop fan speed then you can download HWInfo64. This tool support most laptop fan settings. Use HWiNFO fan control option to manually decrease or increase laptop fan speed.
If you don’t know how to change fan settings using BIOS then download third party fan control software.
The ideal CPU fan speed of a laptop depends on a host of things but if you run it at 70% then it’s good. If you want to know What RPM is normal for laptop fans then 3000 to 4000 RPM is considered to be the best range.
If your computer fan is constantly loud then it may be a problem with your fan bearing or your PC is full of dust. Try to clean your PC intakes that are clogging fresh air.
With these four methods, you can increase fan speed Windows 10 laptops or PC. Now tell us which method to solve your problem.