For gamers who want to keep an eye on their computer’s performance, MSI Afterburner is a handy tool. It helps you check things like frame rates while playing games.
But lately, some gamers have run into an MSI Afterburner not showing an FPS issue. People on forums have shared their struggles, and we’re here to break down the solutions they’ve discovered.
In this article, we have explained common causes and solutions to fix the MSI Afterburner FPS counter not showing issues.
Why is MSI Afterburner FPS Counter Not Showing Details?
The most common reasons for FPS overlay not showing up are;
- Outdated MSI Afterburner Version: Make sure you have the latest version of MSI Afterburner installed on your system.
- RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Installation: Ensure that you have properly installed RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS), as MSI Afterburner relies on it for additional features.
- Monitoring Tab Settings: Check if the “framerate” option is selected under the Monitoring Tab in MSI Afterburner settings.
- RTSS Application Detection Level: Verify that the application detection level in the RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) is set to low. This ensures proper communication between MSI Afterburner and RTSS.
- On-Screen Display Support: Confirm that On-Screen Display (OSD) support is enabled in RivaTuner. This setting is crucial for displaying FPS in-game.
- Game Compatibility: Some games may not allow third-party FPS counters. Ensure that the game you’re playing supports external FPS monitoring tools.
How To Fix MSI Afterburner Not Showing FPS Counter
1. Reinstall MSI Afterburner
- Press the Win + R keys at the same time to open the Run console.
- In the search bar, type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter. This opens the Uninstall or change a program window.
- On the right side of the Control Panel window, find MSI Afterburner, right-click on it, and choose Uninstall.
- After completely uninstalling MSI Afterburner, go to the Afterburner Download page and download its latest version.
- While setting it up, make sure to check the box that installs Riva Tuner at the same time.
2. Enable FPS From the Monitoring Tab
By following these steps, you ensure that MSI Afterburner is set up to display the average framerate on your screen. Follow these steps;
- Open MSI Afterburner.
- Click on the cog (gear) button to access settings.
- Go to the “Monitoring” tab.
- In “Active hardware monitoring graphs,” check the box next to “Framerate Avg.”
- Scroll down and check the box for “Show in On-Screen Display.”
- In “Graph limits,” check the box for “Override game name.”
- Click the three dots next to “Show in On-Screen Display.”
- In “Active layout properties,” double-click on “Size0.”
- Change its Size (in percentage) to 100.
- Do the same for “Size1.”
- Save the settings.
3. Install the RivaTuner Statistics Server
Make sure you’ve installed the RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) correctly. MSI Afterburner needs RTSS for some features, and having it installed properly is crucial.
4. Change Benchmark Setting
These adjustments ensure that when you press the specified keys (Num1 to start recording and Num2 to stop), MSI Afterburner will capture benchmark data correctly. Save the changes and check if this resolves the issue with the FPS display.
- Open MSI Afterburner.
- Click on the “Benchmark” tab.
- Look for the section labeled “Global benchmark hotkeys.”
- In the field marked “Begin recording,” type Num1.
- In the “End recording” field, type Num2.
- Save the settings.
5. RTSS Application Detection Level
In the RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS), adjusting the application detection level is crucial for smooth communication between MSI Afterburner and RTSS, ensuring accurate FPS monitoring. Follow these steps to set the application detection level to “low”:
- Open RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS).
- Look for the option named “Application detection level.”
- Set the detection level to “low.” This ensures that RTSS can effectively recognize and interact with the applications running on your system, including MSI Afterburner.
- Save the changes.
6. Enable On-Screen Display Support
Ensure that On-Screen Display (OSD) support is enabled in RivaTuner. This setting is necessary for MSI Afterburner to display the FPS on your screen during gameplay.
7. Check Game Compatibility
Some games may not allow external FPS counters. Double-check if the game you’re playing supports third-party FPS monitoring tools. If not, there might be limitations in displaying the FPS in that specific game.
By going through these steps, you can troubleshoot and fix the issue of MSI Afterburner not showing the FPS counter in a straightforward manner.