PS5 won’t turn on but beeps? PS5 crashing/freezing and won’t turn on? Here are the best PS5 troubleshooting tips.
Lately, many users have started complaining that PS5 won’t turn on after a power outage, with the controller, from the rest mode, on blue light, or after an update.
The usual suspect that the user thinks might not be Playstation 5 power issue. Some bugs affect PS5 normal operation and won’t let it turn on.
Someone posted PS5 won’t turn on the problem on Reddit complaining that:
I was playing Valhalla, went to the bathroom, and when I came back the console was off. I thought it was in rest mode but no orange lights were on the sides. I tried to turn it on, I heard a beep but nothing happens after, what s going on?? this never happened to me.
Table of Contents
- Causes of PS5 Not Turning on
- How Do I Fixed the PS5 Not Turning On Problem
Fixes For When PS5 Won’t Turn On
- Fix 1. Reboot the PS5
- Fix 2. Insert a Game Disc in PS5 Standard Edition
- Fix 3. Disconnect Power Supply
- Fix 4. Power cycle your PS5
- Fix 5. Change Power Cable
- Fix 6. Use a different power Socket
- Fix 7. Reboot PlayStation5 in Safe Mode
- Fix 8. Manually Update PS5 System Software
- Fix 9. Reset your PS5 in Safe Mode
- Fix 10. Clean the inside of your PS5
- Fix 11. Replace the SSD
- Fix 12. Get your PS5 repaired or replaced by Sony
Causes of PS5 Not Turning on
Just like the old PS4 won’t turn on a problem, the PS5 also has a manufacturing fault that prevents it from booting up after it goes into Rest Mode.
Here are some of the possible causes why PS5 not working on startup:
Problems with the power supply
Problems with the PS5 system software
The inside of the console is dirty
Problems with your console’s internal hardware.
Tip- If you can boot PS5 into Safe Mode, then it’s likely a software issue. If the PS5 is completely unresponsive, then you have a hardware problem. Contact Sony Support.
How Do I Fixed the PS5 Not Turning On Problem
When you power up PS5 and all you see is a black unresponsive screen then perform this simple step.
- Press and hold the PS5 power button for 15 seconds and normal programming will resume again.
Fixes For When PS5 Won’t Turn On
The troubleshooting tips mentioned here are useful for PlayStation 5 Standard and Digital Editions. Make your PS5 work again in a jiffy.
Fix 1. Reboot the PS5
Apply this fix if the PS5 console goes into Rest Mode showing orange light never turned on again.
Press the power button for 15 seconds and it will restart normally. It’s also advised to disable Rest Mode in PS 5 settings until Sony releases the official solution.
Fix 2. Insert a Game Disc in PS5 Standard Edition
Are you using Playstation5 Standard Edition then gently insert a game disk in the PS5 disk drive?
If the disk drive is empty then it will automatically pull in the disk allowing PS5 to start up normally.
Fix 3. Disconnect Power Supply
Another simple thing that you can try to fix PS5 that won’t turn on the problem is to disconnect the power supply of PS5 and leave it for 30 seconds.
Reconnect the power supply and try to turn on the PS5.
Fix 4. Power cycle your PS5
Still, PS5 won’t turn on at all or shows light but the screen goes blank, then power cycle your console.
Press the power button until the PS5 lights turn off. Unplug the power supply cable and leave the console for 15 to 20 minutes.
When the power is drained off completely reconnect the power cable and turn it on.
Fix 5. Change Power Cable
You should also check the power cable faults or try to connect them properly to the ports.
PS5 also uses the same power cable i.e. IEC C7 that the old PS4 used. You can easily find the replacement cable and buy it.
Now try running PS5 with the new power cable and if the problem is fixed.
Fix 6. Use a different power Socket
Maybe the socket from where your console is deriving power is broken.
Try to connect your other device with the power socket if it’s not working then change the socket or try plugging your PS5 in elsewhere.
Fix 7. Reboot PlayStation5 in Safe Mode
When turning on PS5 if all you see is a light and no screen, it means that the console can power on but there’s a problem with the software.
Turn the PS5 off to enter in Safe Mode, here’s how to do it:
- Press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to turn off your console. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
- Once the console is off, press and hold the power button again for 7 seconds and release it after second beep sounds.
- Controller won’t connect to WiFi so use USB cable DS4 and press the PS button on the controller.
- From the options choose to reboot the console
Fix 8. Manually Update PS5 System Software
If you can enter into safe mode, it’s good. You can try to manually download the PS5 latest version of the system software via a USB drive.
Here’s how to perform these steps:
- Using a PC or Mac, Formate USB as FAT32 and then create a folder named “PS5” on it. Inside that folder, create another folder named “UPDATE“.
- Visit the PS5 system software update page and scroll down the page to select the “Reinstall system software“.
- Download the file and save it in the “UPDATE” folder using the file name as “PS5UPDATE.PUP“.
- Plug in the USB containing the file into the PS5 system.
- With in Safe Mode select option 7 i.e. Reinstall System Software.
- Select Update from USB Storage Device and press OK.
After the system finishes the update and restarts itself check if the PS5 won’t turn on the problem is resolved.
Fix 9. Reset your PS5 in Safe Mode
Some chances saved game file data has changed or corrupted. The system software may also get corrupted due to multiple changes that users made.
You can reset the PS5 while remaining in safe mode. By doing it all game saved data and settings will be restored to the factory settings.
Here’s how to do it:
- Follow the steps explained in Fix 7 to enter into PS5 Safe Mode.
- Select Reset PS5 option from the main menu. Wait for the console to restart as normal.
Tip- Before resetting you can backup all data on your Playstation plus account.
Fix 10. Clean the inside of your PS5
Use compressed air to clean the PS5. You can easily open the PS5 case so do it and check if it turns on properly.
Fix 11. Replace the SSD
You can replace the SSD only if your console is old and doesn’t have a warranty. open it up, take out the SSD and replace it with something new
Fix 12. Get your PS5 repaired or replaced by Sony
If all the above fixes have failed and you can’t fix PS5 Won’t turn on the problem then visit Sony’s Fix and Replace page.
Follow the prompts to see if your PS5 qualifies for a free repair or replacement.