Stuck with Valheim keeps crashing on startup or while playing the game where you end up losing the progress! It’s really annoying?
When you play Valheim you may experience not launching and crashing issues on startup or mid-game while loading the world. Don’t worry Here we have the best troubleshooting tips.
As an indie game, Valheim did a great job in delivering a spooky yet palm-sweating gaming experience. Like any other game, many players have complained about the Valheim crashing on Reddit which annoys them while playing the game.
We come up with all possible fixes you can try y yourself easily and quickly.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Table of Contents
- Why Does Valheim Keep Crashing on Startup?
- How to Fix Valheim Keeps Crashing?
- Fix 1. Verify the integrity of game files
- Fix 2. Run Valheim as an administrator
- Fix 3. Update your graphics driver
- Fix 4. Install all Windows updates
- Fix 5. Check for corrupted system files
- Fix 6. Perform a clean boot
- Fix 7. Disable in-game overlays
- Fix 8. Set valheim.exe to high priority
- Fix 9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
- Fix 10. Install the Latest Version of Visual Basic C++
Why Does Valheim Keep Crashing on Startup?
The most common causes that trigger the crashing issues while playing are:
- PC configuration isn’t meeting the system requirements of the Valheim game
- Any temporary glitches or system cache causing the problem
- Corrupted or missing game files
- An outdated graphics driver version
- Valheim game or the game launcher becomes outdated
- Unnecessary background running tasks
- Third-party app interference
How to Fix Valheim Keeps Crashing?
Here are the fixes that are capable to resolve this gaming issue. You don’t need to apply all of the fixes at once. Just work your way down the list until you find the right solution.
Fix 1. Verify the integrity of game files
One common cause of game crashes is corrupted or missing game files. Which can cause the game to crash. To fix crashing issues on a PC you need to repair those corrupted files.
Here’s how you can verify the game integrity:
- Open your Steam client and go to your LIBRARY.
- In the menu to your left, right-click Valheim and select Properties.
- Select LOCAL FILES from the left menu, then click Verify integrity of game files and wait for the checking to complete.
- Once done, start Valheim and check if it crashes again.
If the issue persists then take a look at the next fix below
Fix 2. Run Valheim as an administrator
Running Valheim as an administrator can help you resolve the issue. Because constant crashing could suggest a permission issue with the launcher. Try to run Valheim as an administrator to overcome this issue and enjoy your gameplay.
Here’s a quick guide for that:
- Open your Steam client and go to your LIBRARY.
- In the left menu, right-click Valheim and move the cursor to Manage. Select Browse local files.
- In the pop-up window, right-click Valheim and select Run as administrator, and test the gameplay.
- If the crash stops, you can continue to configure Valheim to always run in the administrator mode.
- Right-click Valheim and select Properties.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab. In the Settings section, check to box next to Run this program as an administrator. Then click OK.
We have also covered Valorant Keeps Crashing on PC, if you face any issue in this game then make a look and enjoy your game.
Fix 3. Update your graphics driver
Valheim Keeps Crashing on PC may occur because of outdated or corrupted graphics drivers. To improve gaming performance you need to update the graphics driver. There are two methods to update graphics cards i.e. Manual and Automatic.
In the manual method, you need to visit NVIDIA/AMD sites and search for the latest compatible drivers and download them on your PC. If you don’t have relevant skills then there are chances that you might install the wrong drivers.
So we suggest you adopt an automatic method in which you need to download Driver Easy on your PC. This tool will automatically scan your PC for outdated graphics drivers and update it instantly.
Try downloading the Driver Easy Trial Version on your PC.
Fix 4. Install all Windows updates
Along with drivers, you should make sure that your system is up to date. Your PC gets all the features and patches updates.
You can check updates manually using the instructions below:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key + I at the same time to open Windows Settings. Then click Update & Security.
- Click Check for updates. Windows will start searching for available updates. If there are any, Windows will automatically download and install the updates.
- After updating your system, do a reboot and check if there’s any improvement in Valheim.
If this issue persists, then move to the next fix below.
Fix 5. Check for corrupted system files
To check if it’s a system issue, you can run a system scan with Restoro.
Download Restoro which is a professional Windows repair tool that can scan your system’s overall status, diagnose your system configuration, identify faulty system files, and repair them automatically.
- Download and install Restoro.
- Open Restoro. It will run a free scan of your PC and give you a detailed report of your PC status.
- Once finished, you’ll see a report showing all the issues. To fix all the issues automatically, click START REPAIR (You’ll need to purchase the full version. It comes with a 60-day Money-Back Guarantee so you can refund anytime if Restoro doesn’t fix your problem).
Restart your computer to see if Valheim crashes again. If it does, you can try the next fix below.
Fix 6. Perform a clean boot
Some other programs might conflict with your game. If this happens then performing a clean boot could help you to get rid of Velheim crashing.
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time to invoke the Run box. Type MSConfig and hit Enter.
- In the pop-up window, navigate to the Services tab and check the box before Hide all Microsoft services.
- Uncheck all the services EXCEPT those that belong to your video cards or sound cards manufacturer, such as Realtek, AMD, NVIDIA, and Intel. Then click OK to save the changes.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl, Shift, and Esc at the same time to open Task Manager, then navigate to the Startup tab.
- One at a time, select any programs you suspect might be interfering and click Disable.
- Restart your computer.
Still, Valheim crashing on startup or mid-game! Try the next fix below
Fix 7. Disable in-game overlays
In Valheim, players complained on Reddit that the overlays might be hindering the game performance. So if you’re using overlays in Steam, Discord, and NVIDIA GeForce Experience, try turning it off and see how things go.
Here’s how you disable overlay in steam:
- Open your Steam client and click Steam on the top left corner. Select Settings.
- Navigate to the In-Game tab, and uncheck these boxes to disable the overlay feature. Click OK to save the changes.
- After disabling all the overlays, you can return to Valheim and check if it crashes again.
If this technique doesn’t make you able to enjoy your game, then try the next one
Fix 8. Set valheim.exe to high priority
If the valheim.exe not responding then try giving Valheim high priority. It will boost the performance and reduce crashes. You can try this without installing third-party programs.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc at the same time to open Task Manager. Navigate to the Details tab.
- Right-click valheim.exe. In the context menu, expand Set priority and select High
Now you can restart Valheim to see if there’s any improvement.
Fix 9. Disable Windows Firewall or Antivirus Program
- Click on the Start Menu > Type firewall.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall from the search result
- Now, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off from the left pane.
- A new page will open > Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option for both the Private & Public Network Settings
- Once selected, click on OK to save changes.
Now, restart your computer.
Fix 10. Install the Latest Version of Visual Basic C++
Make sure to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer to fix multiple gaming issues or errors completely.
To do that:
- Press the Windows key from the keyboard to open up the Start Menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it from the search result.
- Now, locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click on Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
Once done, install it on your computer, and restart the system to change the effects.