Does anyone else deal with God of War FPS drops, stutter, and poor frame pacing while playing on PC or PS4?
God of War is finally released for PC gamers to play it using Steam or Epic Game. However, since release, the players have complained that mid-game or during hectic fights FPS drops in God of War causing stuttering and lagging.
Before that God of War FPS drops issues also arose on the PS4 and PS5 consoles. Most users can fix this issue by updating the PS4 Firmware and God of War to the latest patch.
If you are dealing with God of War FPS drops issues on PC then try our fixes to make it run smooth.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVER
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
Fix God Of War FPS Drops on PC – Optimize FPS and Performance
Below is the list to fix God of War FPS drops issues, just work your way down the list to find the best solution.
Turn On Game Bar in Windows 10
There’s a built-in utility called a game bar that can help you boost the game’s performance. So try to enable it to check if it improved Framerate to 50 or above 100.
For Windows 10 users:
- Press the Windows key and search Game Mode Settings and hit Enter.
- Turn the Game Mode ON.
- From the left side select XBOX Game Bar and Turn it off.
For Windows 11 users:
- Go to settings and on the left side click on gaming.
- Turn off Xbox Game Bar and Turn on Game Mode.
Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling to Fix God of War PC Stuttering
Another built-in Windows feature developed to improve PC performance that can help you resolve the FPS drops issue. Try to turn it on.
For Windows 10 users:
In Windows 10, Press Windows Key and type Graphics Settings.
Enable the option called Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling.
For Windows 11 users:
- Press Windows Key and type Graphics Settings.
- Under Default Settings, click on change default graphics settings.
- Enable Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling.
- Below you will see a list of games you have on your system.
- Find the game and then click on options and set it to high performance.
Change Windows Power Plan
If you are dealing with God of War FPS drops on PC, it’s because your PC is set to consume Balanced power by default. Try changing the power plan to high performance to get more power.
Follow these steps:
- Press the Windows key + R, then type powercfg.cpl and press Enter.
- In the new window, expand Hide additional plans and select High performance.
- If you can’t see this option then click on Create a Power Plan from the left panel and create a new power plan.
If the problem of the God of War FPS drops isn’t fixed then enable the Ultimate Poer Plan on Windows PC. Follow these steps:
- Press Windows Key and search cmd.
- Right Click on command prompt and run as administrator.
- Paste the given code: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
- Now go back to the power options again and turn on the Ultimate Performance Option.
Override DPI and Disable Full-Screen Optimization
If the God of War FPS keeps dropping then try this fix.
- Open Steam and on the top left side click on Settings.
- Find the Library option.
- Enable Low Bandwidth Mode and Low-Performance Mode.
- Click on OK.
- Now go to the Library and find God Of War PC.
- Right-click on it and then manage and then browse local files.
- Right-click on the .exe file and click on Properties.
- In the compatibility section, disable full-screen optimization.
- Click on Change high DPI settings and enable override high DPI scaling.
- Press Apply and then OK.
Install the Latest Game Patch
Did you try looking for an update patch maybe the developer has released a new update that fixes the framerate dropping issue.
If you are using Steam to play God of War it will automatically find and update the latest game patch.
Update your Graphics Driver To Fix God Of War Stuttering on PC
To play God of War on a PC without any stuttering or framerate drops issue, you need to update graphics card drivers. If the graphics card drivers are outdated to faulty you will have to deal with random crashing errors.
You can update NVIDIA/AMD GPU drivers manually by visiting their official sites but finding the latest correct driver is often difficult.
So we recommend you download Driver Easy on your PC. It’s a driver updater tool that will automatically scan and update all the system’s old drivers. All you need to do is to:
- Download and Install Driver Easy.
- Run this program and click on Scan Now button. (It will scan your PC telling you how many drivers need attention)
- Now click on Update All or choose anyone at a time.
- Now Restart your PC.
You can also create a restore point, in case an updated driver causes the problem you can revert to its previous version.
Lower In-game Graphics Settings
Another simple trick that can fix God of War FPS drops issues is lowering the in-game graphics settings.
This fix is useful for those users whose PC doesn’t meet the minimum system requirements to play God of War on PC.
Disable Overlays To Improve PC Stuttering
Steam, Discord, and origin have an overlay that enhances the game performance on PC. If you are using these overlays then you need to disable them and then try to play the game.
Disable Unwanted Programs
If the God of War FPS drops issues only popped up after installing a third-party program. You need to uninstall it disable it from your PC.
God of War Stuttering on PC is Mainly Linked With AMD GPUs
God of War is the latest title released for PC enthusiasts but since then this newly PC game has caused havoc. More and more are complaining that they are dealing with PC stuttering in God of War and as the users keep playing the game the FPS drastically drops.
Hello, I wanted to know if there is any way by which we can get the optimised version of god of war because the one fitgirl released has a lot of performance issues….God of War PC stuttering on Reddit.
Still, no official update is released for users who have AMD CPU or GPU. These users are reporting that massive FPS drop is occurring in some areas like Lake Nime or during fights.
I am getting constantly low FPS values on the PC version of this game in certain scenes. I am averaging around 90FPS for the game. But for example in Lake of Nine, when I look at certain directions, I am getting around 40-50 FPS. And funnily, the FPS doesn’t change when I change any of the graphics settings / resolution. Another example scene is from Alfheim I am getting around 55-60 FPS no matter which graphics options I am using. To make comparison easier, I have changed the FidelityFX (Render resolution scale) settings of the game. And there is 0 FPS difference in certain angles.
All we can do is wait patiently for the update patch and apply the fixes above to resolve the God of War PC FPS drop issue.