After downloading Starfield on PC via Steam and XBOX game pass many players can’t find where the autosave file and config files are located. Most players complained that Starfield crashed or failed to create a save game error while playing this game.
So before your save game files get corrupt or you want to save the config file which is a copy of your game progress, settings, and preferences. It is important that you where these files are located and how you create a backup.
In this short guide we have explained Starfirld save file locations and how to create a backup.
Where are Save Files Stored in Starfield? – Save File Location
Your Starfield game saves are kept in a special folder called “My Games” inside your Documents folder on your computer. So, if you ever want to find your Starfield game progress, just go to this folder!
- C:\Users\_your_username_here_\Documents\My Games\Starfield
- Xbox Game Pass
Once you’re inside the “My Games” folder, go into the “Saves” folder. In there, you’ll discover all your Starfield save files, including the most recent ones the game automatically saves for you.
This is where you can make copies of your saves to be extra safe. Doing this ensures that if something goes wrong with your game or your computer, you won’t lose all the progress you’ve made in Starfield!
Tip – Your Starfield game saves might be on a different drive than where you installed the game. For example, I installed on E: drive, but found saves in C: drive’s Documents folder
Starfield Config File Location
The Config file for Starfield can be found at C:\Users\]Your Username]\Documents\My Games\Starfield\
In this folder, you’ll see the “StarfieldPrefs” file. This is the important configuration file for Starfield that you need.
In Starfield, you can’t adjust all the settings in the Config file. You can only change a few of them, like these:
- Render Quality
- Dynamic Resolution
- Film Grain Density
- Motion Blur
- AMD CAS Sharpness
- Resolution Scaling
How to Backup & Restore Starfield Game Saves
To back up your Starfield saves, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer, which you can find in the Windows Search bar if it’s not on your taskbar.
- Go to the location mentioned earlier.
- Copy the entire Starfield folder to make sure you save all your game files.
- Paste it into another folder, possibly on a different drive. Give this folder a name that helps you remember the game and the current mission, like “Starfield Manual Save” for multiple save backups. This way, you can easily keep track of your progress.
To get your game saves back, just follow these steps:
- Copy the backup you want to use.
- Paste it back into the original save location mentioned earlier.