We all know that DS4Windows is the best tool that emulates a Dual Shock 4 controller to play PC games. It gets messy when DS4 does not detect controllers and shows an error that “No Controllers Connected (Max 4)”.
Users complain DS4Windows not working while playing games i.e. Batman Arkham Knight, and Dark Souls. Most of the time DS4 won’t detect controllers but this problem is not restricted to this particular error.
If you need a solution to fix DS4 not detecting the controller, audio or exclusive mode won’t work, the controller is connected still DS4 not working, or Bluetooth won’t work. Also if you simply can’t get DS4Windows to work properly then we have the 7 best solutions to fix this problem once and for all.
Read Also: Fixed: Corsair Link Not Controlling Fans
Best Solutions to Fix DS4 Not Detecting Controller on Windows 11
Apply these fixes.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
1. Update DS4 Windows
Make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of DS4Windowsin your Windows 11 PC. Extract the Zip file and you will notice there are two files i.e. DS4Windows and DS4Updater.
Run the latter one to update DS4Windows to ward off any potential threats. If you missed this step it may be a reason that DS4 is not detecting controllers.
Follow these steps
- Click here to download DS4Windows.
- Navigate to the DS4 Windows file directory.
- Open the extracted file.
- Click on “DS4Updater”.
- The app will start scanning to find the latest version and install it if required.
- Once the process finishes a message “DS4 Windows is up to date” will appear.
- Now close the DS4Updater window and Run DS4 Windows.
Once you are done opening DS4 and under the “controllers tab” you should be able to see that the device is detected and recognized.
Read Also: Fix iCUE Not Detecting Fans or Keyboard
2. Enable DualShock 4 Controller In Device Manager
If you already have the latest version and you are still dealing with DS4 Windows not working properly or failing to detect controllers. Then you need to re-enable dual shock using the device manager.
Especially those users who have recently updated to Windows 11 will notice that controllers automatically disable during gameplay.
To fix it follow these steps
- Open DS4 Windows while the DualShock 4 controller is plugged into the PC.
- Press Win + R and type “devmgmt.msc” to open the device manager.
- Click to expand the “Human Interface Devices” option by clicking on the right-pointing grey arrow.
- Double-click on “HID-compliant game controller” among the listed devices and select “Enable Device” from the options.
- Close Device Manager and “Restart” your computer.
Check if the DS4 controller appears under the “Controllers” tab. If DS4 does not detect the controller problem persists follow the next solutions.
3. Uninstall DS4 Using Windows Control Panel
Uninstalling the rogue device driver or software is the easiest way to fix any problem on Windows 11 PC. To uninstall DS4 follow these steps:
- Close DS4 Windows and disconnect the DS4 controller before proceeding further.
- Open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on “Wireless Controller” and select “Properties”
- In the Properties window, click on the “Hardware” tab.
- Under the list of “Device Functions,” click on “HID-compliant game controller” and then click on the “Properties” button.
- A new window will appear, click on the “Driver” tab and then click on “Uninstall Device”
- Now click “OK” in the Wireless Controller Properties window to close it.
- Boot up DS4 Windows.
- Reconnect the DualShock 4 controller back into the PC.
After this DS4 Windows should be able to recognize the controller, and it will show up in the “Controllers” tab.
Read Also: How to Enable FPS Counter in MSI Afterburner
4. Enable Hide DS4 Controller Option
Sometimes DS4 not detecting on windows 11 problems occurs because Windows starts recognizing the physical devices as both a D-pad controller (Xbox controller) and DualShock 4 controller.
To fix this confusion DS4 Windows has a built-in feature that allows users to determine whether to hide the DS4 controller or not.
Follow these steps:
- Open up DS4 Windows.
- Click on the “Settings” tab.
- Next, tick the “Hide DS4 controller” box which is the first option in the list.
- Click on the “Controllers” tab.
- Plug the DualShock 4 controller back into the PC.
- The DS4 will start detecting the device and it will appear in the app.
5. Uninstall Latest Windows Update
Many users reported that the DS4Windows not working issue only happened after a Windows 11 update. Therefore, If you simply uninstall the latest Windows 11 update. You can solve the problem.
Follow these steps on Windows 11 PC:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing Win + I keys.
- Click on Update & Security, and then click on “View Update History”.
- From the top click on “Uninstall Updates”. A new window will appear listing all the installed updates.
- Right-click on the latest update and “Uninstall” it and wait patiently for the process to finish.
6. Install PS4 Remote Play App for Windows 11
If you have tried all of the above solutions still DS4 not detecting the controller. Then we will take help by installing the PS4 remote play app for Windows 11 PC. It’s a slightly complex part but it has proven useful for many users.
You can do it by following these steps.
- First, download and install PS4 Remote Play from the official website.
- After installing it, open Device Manager from the search box. Press Win+I and type “devmgmt.msc”
- Find “Wireless Controller Driver” or “Lib32 Wireless Driver” and right-click on it to Uninstall.
- Once the process finishes connect DS4 to Windows vis USB. The required drivers will automatically install.
- Download, install and set up DS4 Windows without the controller connected.
Now, connect the controller. At this time, the ds4Windows not detecting controller problem should be fixed.
7. Scan for Recent Hardware Changes
The controller drivers may be removed when you recently uninstalled any driver or application from your Windows 11 PC. To check you can run a scan for hardware changes.
For that follow these steps:
- Press Windows + R and type in “devmgmt.msc” and press “Enter”.
- It will open “Device Manager”
- Click on “Action” and then click on “Scan for hardware Changes”.
If it found any anomaly it will show you so that you can reinstall it again on your PC.
We are sure that these solutions will fix DS4windows not detecting controllers on windows 11.