Sons of the Forest is a survival horror game that has garnered much attention from gamers around the world. However, some players have reported experiencing screen flickering or tearing issues while playing the game on their PC.
Screen flickering or tearing can be a frustrating problem that can ruin the immersive experience that Sons of the Forest provides.
If you’re facing similar issues, here are some solutions that you can try to fix screen flickering or tearing in Sons of the Forest on PC.
What Causes Sons of the Forest Screen Flickering?
Before we dive into the solutions, it’s essential to understand what screen flickering or tearing is and what causes it. Screen flickering or tearing is a common problem that occurs when the display’s refresh rate is out of sync with the frame rate of the game. This can cause the screen to display incomplete images or split images, resulting in a jarring visual experience.
UPDATE YOUR DRIVERS
in Windows 11, 10 and 7
Use Driver Easy to update all the missing & outdated device drivers on PC for free.
How To Fix Sons of the Forest Screen Flickering or Tearing Issue on PC
To fix the Sons of the Forest screen flickering or tearing issue on your PC, follow the solutions listed below:
Screen flickering or tearing issues in Sons of the Forest on PC could also be related to FreeSync. FreeSync is a technology developed by AMD that synchronizes the Sons of Forest’s frame rate with the display’s refresh rate to eliminate screen tearing and stuttering. If you have a FreeSync monitor and experience screen flickering or tearing issues.
- If you have a FreeSync monitor, ensure that FreeSync is enabled in the monitor’s settings and the AMD Radeon software.
- If your FreeSync range is not set correctly, it can cause issues with the screen flickering or tearing. To adjust your FreeSync range, launch the AMD Radeon software, navigate to the Display tab, and select the monitor you want to adjust. Then click on the Display Settings icon and select Custom Resolutions. From there, you can adjust the FreeSync range to match your monitor’s refresh rate.
Sometimes this issue can be resolved by turning off FreeSync you can also turn off FreeSync:
- Open the AMD Radeon software on your PC. You can do this by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting “AMD Radeon Settings” from the context menu.
- Once the AMD Radeon software is open, navigate to the “Display” tab in the top menu.
- Find and click on the “FreeSync” option in the left-hand menu.
- In the FreeSync section, you will see a toggle switch labeled “AMD FreeSync.” Simply toggle the switch to the “Off” position to turn off FreeSync.
- After turning off FreeSync, click on the “Apply” button to save the changes.
- Restart your PC and launch Sons of the Forest to see if the screen flickering or tearing issue is resolved.
2. Try Using Enhanced Sync
If you have an AMD GPU card then you are also familiar with Enhanced Sync. Enhanced Sync is a feature developed by AMD that can help reduce screen tearing and input lag. Launch the AMD Radeon software, navigate to the Gaming tab, and select Global Settings. From there, enable Enhanced Sync and try launching Sons of the Forest again.
FreeSync can help eliminate screen tearing and stuttering, but it may require some adjustment to work correctly
3. Update Your Graphics Card Drivers
Outdated graphics card drivers can cause screen flickering or tearing. Ensure that your graphics card drivers are up to date by visiting the manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your graphics card.
- Identify the manufacturer and model of your graphics card. You can usually find this information by checking the documentation that came with your computer or by using a system information tool such as Speccy.
Best Way To Update Graphics Driver on PC
NVIDIA and AMD do release game-specific updates that you can download and install on your PC. But it takes time and if you are a newbie who doesn’t have skills then you might end up downloading the wrong drivers.
So we recommend downloading Driver Easy software on your PC. This program is a professional system driver updater that automatically scans a PC’s old driver and updates them instantly.
The Driver Easy is an N0.1 software updater tool in its field and for 12 years users are using it to fix their PC errors.
So download Driver Easy and let it deal with all the system drivers.
4. Turn Off V-sync
V-Sync can sometimes be a cause of screen flickering or tearing issues in Sons of the Forest on PC. V-Sync is a setting that synchronizes the game’s frame rate with the display’s refresh rate to prevent screen tearing. However, in some cases, enabling V-Sync can cause issues with the screen flickering or tearing.
If you suspect that V-Sync is causing issues in Sons of the Forest, you can try turning it off to see if that resolves the issue. Following steps for turning off the V-sync:
- Launch Sons of the Forest and navigate to the video settings.
- Find the V-Sync option and turn it off.
- Apply the changes and restart the game.
- Check if the screen flickering or tearing issue is resolved.
5. Adjust Your Screen Resolution
High screen resolutions can cause the screen to flicker or tear. This can also cause screen flickering and tearing issues. Try reducing your screen resolution to see if it fixes the issue. To do this, navigate to the video settings and adjust the resolution.
6. Limit Your Frame Rate
Sometimes this issue can be caused by the high frame rate in Sons of the Forest. Limiting your frame rate can help reduce screen flickering or tearing. Launch Sons of the Forest and navigate to the video settings. Find the frame rate option and set it to a lower value.
7. Disable Overlays
Overlays, such as those from Discord or GeForce Experience, can interfere with the game’s performance and cause screen flickering or tearing. Disabling overlays can also sometimes help to resolve screen flickering or tearing issues in Sons of the Forest on PC. Overlays are graphics that appear over the game window and can include things like FPS counters, social media notifications, and other information.
Try disabling any overlays you have enabled to see if it fixes the issue.
- Open the application that is displaying the overlay (e.g., Discord, or GeForce Experience).
- Navigate to the settings or options menu.
- Find the overlay settings or options.
- Turn off the overlay feature.
- Save the changes and exit the application.
- Launch Sons of the Forest and check if the screen flickering or tearing issue is resolved.
8. Verify Game Files
Corrupted game files can cause the screen to flicker or tear. To verify the game files, open Steam, navigate to the Sons of the Forest game Library, right-click on the game, and select Properties. Then click on the Local Files tab and select Verify Integrity of Game Files.