TES5Edit, also known as xEdit, is a powerful tool for modding The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It allows users to view and edit plugin files (ESP and ESM files) to fix various issues, clean dirty edits, and manage conflicts between mods.
TES5Edit facilitates automatic cleaning of plugins to resolve conflicts and eliminate unnecessary records. After selecting the desired plugins, TES5Edit identifies and cleans dirty edits, improving mod compatibility.
- Devs: ElminsterAU
- Version: 4.1.5
- License: Free
- File Size: 29 MB
- Updated: Nov 4, 2023
- Requirements: Windows 11 & 10 PC
TES5Edit includes a search function, enabling users to locate specific records or entries within their plugins efficiently. This feature proves handy for identifying and addressing conflicts or making targeted edits.
TES5Edit is compatible with Skyrim Special Edition. Ensure you download the latest version designed for the Special Edition, and the installation process remains similar.
Tip – If you encounter “Editing is Disabled” in TES5Edit, ensure that you’re not attempting to edit a master file directly. Create a separate plugin for your edits and make sure it’s active.
How to Use TES5Edit to Clean Mods
Below we have provided the basic guide to use TES5Edit in Skyrim (SE).
- Install TES5Edit:
- Download and install TES5Edit by clicking the Download Button above.
- Run TES5Edit:
- Launch TES5Edit through your modding tools or directly from its executable.
- Select Plugins:
- TES5Edit will prompt you to select plugins. Choose the mods you want to clean and click OK.
- Clean Dirty Edits:
- Right-click on a plugin in the left pane (except Skyrim.esm) and choose “Apply Filter for Cleaning.”
- After processing, right-click again and select “Remove Identical to Master Records” and “Undelete and Disable References.”
- Follow the prompts and warnings that appear.
- Verify Changes:
- The left column should now display items in color, indicating changes. Review and confirm the changes.
- Save Changes:
- Close TES5Edit, and it will prompt you to save the modified plugins. Confirm and save.
- LOOT Integration:
- Use LOOT (Load Order Optimization Tool) to identify mods with dirty edits. TES5Edit complements LOOT by allowing you to clean those edits.
- Read Mod Descriptions:
- Some mods intentionally include dirty edits for compatibility or specific features. Always check mod descriptions or consult with mod authors before cleaning.
- Before cleaning, make backups of your mod files. This ensures you can revert to the original state if needed.
- Building Bash Patch:
- Use Wrye Bash to build a Bash Patch after cleaning mods. Right-click on the mods needing a patch, and follow the prompts in Wrye Bash.
- Verify Game:
- After making significant changes, verify the game’s integrity through Steam to ensure a clean slate.
Swapping Unofficial Patches
- Update Unofficial Patches:
- Download the latest versions of the Unofficial Skyrim Patches from their respective Nexus Mod pages.
- Replace Old Patches:
- Disable the old unofficial patches in your mod manager.
- Activate the new patches in the desired load order.
Using TES5Edit requires careful attention to detail and an understanding of how mods interact. Always refer to the official TES5Edit documentation and mod-specific instructions for the best results.